Favorite Bar on Ruby

clw1624

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a list of drinks to try. At home, I stick to wine and gin & tonics. On vacation, I try just about everything.

On our last cruise my wife made it her "mission" to try all of the margaritas. She quickly discovered that the blended ones are huge! She decided that wasn't the way to go so the rest of them weren't blended.

She tried a lot of drinks and finally decided that her favorite was actually a martini - the Raspberry Martini. (It amazes me what is called a "martini" these days. If it's in a martini glass apparently it qualifies.)

Oh that sounds delightful, might have to be my first on-board drink.

Your best chance of getting one will be at the Outrigger's Bar. Hopefully, the person in charge of bringing the strawberries to the bar, will be on top of it. ;)

Soooo... I looked up Strawberry Pepper Margarita and it appears to be made with jalapeno. I'm surprised but it sounds interesting. Do you get it blended or frozen? I love both strawberries and chilies so it may be something to try. Is it only available at Outrigger?

Soooo... I looked up Strawberry Pepper Margarita and it appears to be made with jalapeno. I'm surprised but it sounds interesting. Do you get it blended or frozen? I love both strawberries and chilies so it may be something to try. Is it only available at Outrigger?

I get it on the rocks. The bartender is supposed to muddle all the ingredients, kind of like a mojito, then strain it and pour it in the glass.

I found a recipe that seems to be the most like what the ship makes:

• 1/2 cup/ 120ml ice.
  • 100ml gold tequila.
  • 50ml cointreau.
  • 300g hulled strawberries, frozen.
  • Juice of 1 and a half limes.
  • 1 tsp - 1 tbsp coarse ground black pepper, depending on your tastes.
  • Salt/sugar, lime wedge and strawberries for garnish.

But on the ship, they use fresh strawberries.

I get it on the rocks. The bartender is supposed to muddle all the ingredients, kind of like a mojito, then strain it and pour it in the glass.

Hmmm... a muddled jalapeno. Sounds bizarre. I think I'll ask for it as a sail away drink at the roll call meet and greet since it is being held at Outrigger. :D

Hmmm... a muddled jalapeno. Sounds bizarre. I think I'll ask for it as a sail away drink at the roll call meet and greet since it is being held at Outrigger. :D

Lol, the ship uses black pepper, not the jalapeno. Although a jalapeno garnish might be good with it. :)

My favorite drink depends on the time of day. Early morning calls for a spicy Bloody Mary.

Afternoon calls for a standard Margarita made with Patron Silver. Early evening calls for a Whiskey Sour made with Fireball whiskey. After dinner it is either Gentleman Jack with Coke or Grey Goose with tonic.

My favorite bar also depends on the time of day and whether I want a quiet place like Adagio, a place with entertainment like Wheelhouse or Explorers, or a place with the view like the Outrigger Bar.

Crooners is ok but often the entertainment in the Piazza is not to my liking or the foot traffic through Crooners is too much.

The post about being tied to an oxygen tank was just a bit wrong. My oxygen tank is strapped to my hot-rod scooter just above the racing slick tires with the spinner hub caps. I advise you to look carefully before stepping into the passageway as you leave your cabin. I like to open her up on those long straightaways. She can do 0 to 2mph in only 3 cabin widths.

Enjoy your cruise. The Ruby is a good ship.

My favorite drink depends on the time of day. Early morning calls for a spicy Bloody Mary.

Afternoon calls for a standard Margarita made with Patron Silver. Early evening calls for a Whiskey Sour made with Fireball whiskey. After dinner it is either Gentleman Jack with Coke or Grey Goose with tonic.

My favorite bar also depends on the time of day and whether I want a quiet place like Adagio, a place with entertainment like Wheelhouse or Explorers, or a place with the view like the Outrigger Bar.

Crooners is ok but often the entertainment in the Piazza is not to my liking or the foot traffic through Crooners is too much.

The post about being tied to an oxygen tank was just a bit wrong. My oxygen tank is strapped to my hot-rod scooter just above the racing slick tires with the spinner hub caps. I advise you to look carefully before stepping into the passageway as you leave your cabin. I like to open her up on those long straightaways. She can do 0 to 2mph in only 3 cabin widths.

Enjoy your cruise. The Ruby is a good ship.

I just have to comment on your Submarine picture. Thank you for your service!

My dad was on the S.S.229 USS Flyingfish. He drives hot rod scooter now too.