Ischia

Oceansfd

Hi , coming to Naples on June 4th. We have been to Positano,Capri, Sorrento, and Pompeii before. Would like to see something different. Seen that Celebrity offers a shore excursion to Ischia . Takes You to poseidon thermal baths. Wondering if anyone has done it before and do you recommend it. It is kinda of pricing so would like to hear any opionon. Thanks

I cannot comment about the excursion (we avoid nearly all ship excursions like the plague) but can add something about Ischia. Getting there is about as easy as going to Capri. You get off the ship ASAP, walk over to the nearby ferry port (Molo Beverello) and buy a ticket on the next high speed jet boat going to Ischia. The only down side is that the frequency of these fast boats is much less than the boats to Capri...so getting over to the ferry terminal ASAP might be very helpful. When we went over to Ischia, we simply used the island buses (they have a bus line that runs around the island in either direction). This is not the same as a tour as you will actually have to do some of your own homework and make your own decisions on where you want to go and for how long. But the price will be much less expensive than a cruise ship excursion.

Hank

I found Ischia sort of underwhelming (a personal failing, I'm sure) despite enjoying seeing remains of one of the earliest -- if not THE earliest -- Western Greek settlements (Pithecusa), and Nestor's cup, with the earliest known example of the Greek alphabet (in the museum).

At any rate, have you considered just spending some time in Naples? There's the wonderful archaeology museum with all the findings from Pompeii, Herculaneum and more. As well as other sites worth visiting.

I haven't been to Poseidon, but I have visited Nogombo thermal baths on Ischia. From what I can see on the website/internet they look to be similar venues. I was not on a cruise but was staying in Stabia which is south of Naples. We took the train to Naples and then the ferry over to Ischia, then the bus to Nogombo. It was a very full day.

I really enjoyed the baths and it was a very restful day. I was on a month-long educational tour of Roman sites so this was a nice break from the ruins. But if i were visiting Naples on a port day this is not something that I would choose to do. There is so much else to see in and near Naples. For example:

1. The cross-Naples walking tour in Rick Steve's book.. Eat your way across Naples and stop for a underground tour of the Greek aqueduct along the way.

2. Visit the ruins at Herculaneum. Easy to get to on the train from Naples and easier to tour than Pompeii.

3. Walk up Vesuvius. The bus or a rental car takes you to the parking lot near the summit. Enjoy a glass of wine at the little stand on the summit as you enjoy the views of the Bay of Naples.

I could go on and on but you get the idea.