Arles by Van on Market Day

MiMiMurrieta

we are two couples traveling aboard Crown Princess which will be in Port marseille. 8-5

On Wednesday June 6, 2018. I have contacted a company Reservations Provence about hiring a driver to take us to Arles for the morning market. The market closes down about 1:30 pm which gets us back to ship

in plenty of time. This would be a shopping day, not a tour per se but hopefully our guide could share about the region as we go. Cost is 400 euros for a party

Of 8. There are 4 in our group if you would like to

Join. You pay cash directly to

Driver the day of the tour please let me know if you want to join us.

Merci! Candice

• 2 weeks later...

This trip has been cancelled. We booked a driver for Sunary Sur Mer market instead. It is a larger market in a seaside location. Welcome others to join us. Cost is dependent on number of folks interested in going and can be paid by cash or credit card to the driver on June 6. Departing 8:30 am and returning by 1:30 pm. Recommend you google the Sunary Sur Mer open market. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you will be happier in your new tour destination then the weekly market at Arles. About 5 years ago (while we were renting an apartment in the region for a few weeks) we drove over to Arles for the market and were completely surprised. For a few minutes we thought we were visiting a street market in North Africa....rather then a weekly Provencial market. Arles apparently has become a very popular place for a large group of immigrants who seem to be dedicated to making the market into something very un-French.

Hank

I think you will be happier in your new tour destination then the weekly market at Arles. About 5 years ago (while we were renting an apartment in the region for a few weeks) we drove over to Arles for the market and were completely surprised. For a few minutes we thought we were visiting a street market in North Africa....rather then a weekly Provencial market. Arles apparently has become a very popular place for a large group of immigrants who seem to be dedicated to making the market into something very un-French.

Hank

Are you familiar with Toulon, Hank, and do they have markets there? We will be there in Oct. thanks.

Are you familiar with Toulon, Hank, and do they have markets there? We will be there in Oct. thanks.

Not really familiar with Toulon (only drove through there one time). But the market issue is a real interesting topic (for me). In Provence (and much of France) most towns have a weekly (sometimes twice a week) market (often outdoors). When DW and I stay in France we will often go to several of these every week. The only drea back is that many of the vendors simply go from market to market...so if you go to a few markets in the same region there is often a sameness. A little research found that Toulon has a market place at the Cours Layfayette with an outdoor market. We are not positive as to their market days although it appears to be Sat and Sunday mornings.

But for anyone in or near Provence on a nice Sunday there is an amazing outdoor market in the small town of Ile de la Sorgue. This is not really close to Marseille or Toulon...but worthwhile if one happens to be there on a Sunday, the weather is good, and they somehow can manage the transportation. The market at Ile de la Sorgue is considered (by many) to be the 2nd best market in all of France (the best is in Paris).

Hank

Not really familiar with Toulon (only drove through there one time). But the market issue is a real interesting topic (for me). In Provence (and much of France) most towns have a weekly (sometimes twice a week) market (often outdoors). When DW and I stay in France we will often go to several of these every week. The only drea back is that many of the vendors simply go from market to market...so if you go to a few markets in the same region there is often a sameness. A little research found that Toulon has a market place at the Cours Layfayette with an outdoor market. We are not positive as to their market days although it appears to be Sat and Sunday mornings.

But for anyone in or near Provence on a nice Sunday there is an amazing outdoor market in the small town of Ile de la Sorgue. This is not really close to Marseille or Toulon...but worthwhile if one happens to be there on a Sunday, the weather is good, and they somehow can manage the transportation. The market at Ile de la Sorgue is considered (by many) to be the 2nd best market in all of France (the best is in Paris).

Hank

Thank you so much.

Hank... thank you for your response on Market Day in Arles... which we changed. We have been to the market at Isle de Le Sorgue ( spelling may be incorrect) and loved it! That is why we sought out a market day to visit on our port day in Marseille. I hope we can get another couple or two to join us but if not, we will still go ourselves. We liove Provence and spent a week in Bonnieux in 2014.

Hank... thank you for your response on Market Day in Arles... which we changed. We have been to the market at Isle de Le Sorgue ( spelling may be incorrect) and loved it! That is why we sought out a market day to visit on our port day in Marseille. I hope we can get another couple or two to join us but if not, we will still go ourselves. We liove Provence and spent a week in Bonnieux in 2014.

Absolutely love Bonnieux....although we have never stayed in that village.

Hank