Decision Help: Orkney Tour-Highlights vs Off The Beaten Path

cc41

Trying to decide between 2 tour options. Both private car guides and small group, comparative prices and references. This is our first visit to this area.

One will take us to the Neolithic highlights (Ring of Broderick, Standing Stones, Scara Brae, Yasnaby Cliffs). The other is avoiding the crowds and will go to Broch of Bersay, Earls palace, farm museum, Broch of Gurness.

Both are of interest to us and love the idea of avoiding some of the crowds but worry that we will not have seen what we should.

Thoughts?

My vote is for the first option. I enjoyed a similar tour so much that I did it again on a subsequent visit. Skara Brae in particular is incredibly interesting. I really think you have to see those sights, which are the ‘big’ sights of Orkney. Otherwise it is a bit like going to Paris without seeing the Eiffel Tower! Save the ‘off the beaten path’ tour for another time! And on neither visit did I encounter big crowds at those sites.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Marylizcat - I said the same referencing Rome and the Coloseum!

Were you there via cruise on your visits? I would think the sights would be very crowded when a large ship is in port. Seems like where everyone would want to be.

Marylizcat - I said the same referencing Rome and the Coloseum!

Were you there via cruise on your visits? I would think the sights would be very crowded when a large ship is in port. Seems like where everyone would want to be.

Yes, both were on cruise ship visits, indeed both were ship excursions. I have actually called there four times now! Kirkwall seems to pop up on a lot of itineraries! One time we did the tour to the Italian Chapel and that area. The chapel is well worth a visit too. I had read an interesting book about it beforehand. Nowhere on Orkney seemed too crowded. I suspect they stagger the arrival of the coaches. On a private tour, I suppose it will just be luck whether you turn up at the same time as a bus load of fellow cruisers.