Any free beach options

Nikmav

I have been trying to search the forum for this, but I am not getting anything. Is there any way to grab a taxi or shuttle to a nice beach where I don't have to pay $45/person to go? I have a family of 5 and I really would prefer not pay $225+ to sit on a beach for the day.

Thank you in advance.

Nikki

I have been trying to search the forum for this, but I am not getting anything. Is there any way to grab a taxi or shuttle to a nice beach where I don't have to pay $45/person to go? I have a family of 5 and I really would prefer not pay $225+ to sit on a beach for the day.

Thank you in advance.

Nikki

All the beaches on the island are free, transport ( can be high and is not regulated), loungers. potties, showers and food are all payable. Also sometimes access is through a private resort.

If your ship docks in Mahogany Bay, there is a free easy to walk to beach that is part of the cruise complex.

If you are docking in Coxen Hole, taxi price is all about your haggling skills. I prefer to pay one of the beach resorts for a transport included day pass.

There may be one of the tour companies doing shuttles to West Bay.. have a click through their websites, Google "Roatan Tours" you should get a heap of hits.

All the beaches on the island are free, transport ( can be high and is not regulated), loungers. potties, showers and food are all payable. Also sometimes access is through a private resort.

If your ship docks in Mahogany Bay, there is a free easy to walk to beach that is part of the cruise complex.

If you are docking in Coxen Hole, taxi price is all about your haggling skills. I prefer to pay one of the beach resorts for a transport included day pass.

There may be one of the tour companies doing shuttles to West Bay.. have a click through their websites, Google "Roatan Tours" you should get a heap of hits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

West Bay Beach is where you want to go. You can access the beach from Bananarama Road. Any cab driver would know. You can arrange for them to drop you off and pick you up. You can put a towel on the sand and enjoy. However, other than the umbrellas that the resorts offer, there is not a lot of shade and it gets hot. Also, the beaches on Roatan are known for sand fleas so make sure you spray with repellant.

Thank you in advance.

Nikki

What ship are you on?

there are 2 cruise ports on the island, and that matters.

If you are on a Carnival ship, or a sister company ship, you will port at Mahogany Bay which has its own free beach.

If you are on NCL or Royal, etc. you will port at Coxen Hole, and then you will have to take a shuttle or excursion to West Bay for a beach.

What ship are you on?

there are 2 cruise ports on the island, and that matters.

If you are on a Carnival ship, or a sister company ship, you will port at Mahogany Bay which has its own free beach.

If you are on NCL or Royal, etc. you will port at Coxen Hole, and then you will have to take a shuttle or excursion to West Bay for a beach.

We are on NCL. Thanks for the info. I didn't know what area we would be coming in to. It just says Roatan Bay.

• 4 weeks later...

NCL usually socks in Coxen Hole so you will want to talk to either West Bay for the beach or West End if you want to shop (there is a little beach). From either beach you have the option of using a water taxi to get to the other one