Norway/France sold for scrap

bepsf

Thanks Tashmoo...although the photos are sad and depressing, I am sure that we all appreciate you thoughfulness and kindness in keeping us updated with current photos.

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have 2 questions, if you reply I thank you

Why do those shipbreakers cut the tip off the prow of the ships they break.

Also, what will be happening to the innards of Qe2 (cabin furniture etc), as I believe the interiors will all be taken out. Would you have any information, please. Many thanks, Maury1907

I am told the first cut is a ritual that signifies the end of the ship's life and also lets the "spirit" go free. The Hindu breakers perform a blessing ceremony with a priest prior to cutting that helps to insure the safety and prosperity of the ship's soul and that of the demolition workers. I'm not sure if the cutting is actually a part of that, as well.

As for QE2, I have no idea what they will be doing with her innards. As she is in Dubai and subject to Arab customs and since most of what is on board is from her various refits over the years, I am not that keen on going through the process of trying to save anything. But I am open to anything reasonable that may develop.

All the best,

Peter

As I sit here at my desk at work viewing the last and final months of SS NORWAY, tears come to my eyes. I can not believe how they can have such a job?! The pics do not even look at all like she use to.

They can tear her apart, bit to bit.........but they can never take away our memories of her and the glorious time we spent on board her. To me she will always look like she did when I sailed her!

Fortunately, they will never take your (nor anyone's) memories away but the process is, sadly, what happens to 99.9 percent of all passenger ships when they are no longer feasible. To the Indians who are starving, it is considered a blessing to have the work, which is done with greater care and skill than you might imagine. They see a certain nobility in it as they are "recycling" what we no longer want or need. Everything is sold, maybe not to become what we would like to see it become, but nothing is wasted. In a strange way, NORWAY will live on in various forms, although sadly most people will be unaware of it.

I have fond memories of NORWAY, too. Even fonder memories of other ships that have gone unnoticed to the same fate.

Peter

Fortunately, they will never take your (nor anyone's) memories away but the process is, sadly, what happens to 99.9 percent of all passenger ships when they are no longer feasible. To the Indians who are starving, it is considered a blessing to have the work, which is done with greater care and skill than you might imagine. They see a certain nobility in it as they are "recycling" what we no longer want or need. Everything is sold, maybe not to become what we would like to see it become, but nothing is wasted. In a strange way, NORWAY will live on in various forms, although sadly most people will be unaware of it.

I have fond memories of NORWAY, too. Even fonder memories of other ships that have gone unnoticed to the same fate.

Peter

Thanks Peter for your insight on what the Indians who work at these jobs bc it is necessary inorder for them to survive. I know it is thier job but until these pics were first posted, I never really thought about what happened to the older ships they can't use anymore. And I'm sure right, this ship only has meaning to me and so many others bc we sailed her but how many other ships have suffered the same fate?? Thousands I'm sure.

Very sad.

I just saw this thread. On my last ncl cruise, sailing to Bermuda, the director did an excellent presentation on the Norway. It was very moving. As he finished the presentation, and talked about the final days, his voice was cracking, and I had tears in my eyes. You would think that ships of historical interest could be saived, but I guess that is just not the case. I will always remember the Norway fondly.

Although NCL is no longer my favorite cruise line, I would be willing to book a cruise on a ship that contained the beautiful brass panels from the Windward dining room. I am sure these panels must have been salvaged and stored for use somewhere. Of all the heartbreak of loosing the Norway it would be a true outrage if these works of art were to melted down for scrap.

Although NCL is no longer my favorite cruise line, I would be willing to book a cruise on a ship that contained the beautiful brass panels from the Windward dining room. I am sure these panels must have been salvaged and stored for use somewhere. Of all the heartbreak of loosing the Norway it would be a true outrage if these works of art were to melted down for scrap.

Joan-

http://romanov-gifts.com/ssnorway/

francetour-7.jpg

I'm sure that the site above can tell you who bought the brass panels, and perhaps, what they intend to do with them.

I'd also love to know where those fabulous "60's Deco" chandeliers from the first class smoking room are.

francetour-5.jpg

You probably remember the room as Norways "Club International".

If you loved those photo's check out Peter Knego's France/Norway page:

http://www.maritimematters.com/francetour.html

While you're at the Romanov site, check out the video's about the asbestos removal and restoration of Rotterdam V,

rotterdamnews1.jpg

a magnificent vessel that will (thank God) be preserved, in her nameske port.

The Windward panels were removed and replaced with replicas at some point late in the NORWAY's life. No one seems to know what became of them but they were definitely not melted down for scrap. They will show up somewhere in the future, probably when the person or people who removed them are no longer culpable. In the meantime, the fakes were sold to the people at ssnorway.no, who had no idea they were not the originals. I'm not sure of the status of this outfit now but they were selling many things removed from the ship at Alang.

Wow: that's very interesting. We were on the Norway in january 1999. I have no way of knowing if the panels were genuine at that point or not as our table was dead center at the bottom of the stairs and I never took the time for a closer look. How did you find out that the panels were fake and what is NCL's take on all this?

Any chance it was Erid Matthews?

I really can't remember. Wonder if there is a way to find out who the cruise director was on the cruise? He told a story how he started in a very low position on a ship...and he did something very unusual to get noticed.. wish i could remember his story, if not his name.

Oh how wretched! It's like putting grandma in a nursing home and just letting her die. It's so spooky to see the bare cabins, etc..makes me think about all the thousands of people on that ship, their lives, the special moments they shared sailing.

Latest and possibly final view of her taken last month is on my website, www.midshipcentury.com. Her misery is almost over, after two and a half years of lying on that beach.

Peter Knego

In PARIS you have a auction from items of the s/s FRANCE - NORWAY .

By: " ARTCURIAL " the 8 & 9 February .

http://www.artcurial.com/fr/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&ps=25&st=D&sale_no=1648+++

Here you can seen the Beautiful Bow of s/s FRANCE ...

http://www.jd-pro.fr/fiche.php?lang=fr&ref=nez&catid=528&catp=521&vue=17012009__DSCN0345.JPG

http://www.artcurial.com/fr/actualite/cp/2009/2009_02_08_paquebot_france_etrave.asp

The last time i see the bow from this distance , was in NEW YORK the 5 September 2001 ...

http://tdm99.skyrock.com/73.html

Noel

Archived