Norway/France sold for scrap

bepsf

Someone mentioned that some of her inside fittings had been removed. Would that be the art work, such as the huge marble sculptures of greek gods in one of the lounges\bars? I wonder if this stuff will ever surface again, perhaps on another ship (although I don't think this type of art work would be much in demand on modern ships!) or just preserved somewhere.

I never sailed her, but she was/is a sight. That beached photo is surreal.

As for her fittings / interiors, I'm not sure if he is planning on acquiring anything, but Peter Knego (a liner author / expert / collector) has started a business and has traveled to Alang in the past for his collection. Keep an eye on his website: MidShipCentury Art

OMG, thank you so much for this website! I absolutely love it! And I am hoping that if and when furnishing come available from the Norway, this Peter will have them for sale! I for one, am very interested in buying something for my memory and my home!!

A peice of history, you would own!

I already saw some twin bed frames I love for my son's room.

Glad you found it helpful. I saw an article that he had written in I believe Cruise Travel about Alang and he referred to his new business. It was an interesting article and it will be interesting to see the pieces he acquires as more and more old ships are going to the breakers.

The Norway was my absolute favorite cruise. The ship was a huge reason why and we had just a tiny bunk bed cabin for my two daughters and myself. Since then, we've booked balconies but I would still give anything to have the Norway experience again.

Any ship suggestions that anyone has found to be anywhere close to her?

Seeing that picture of the Norway on the beach just about brought me to tears. It was like seeing an old person being put out to die and it is just too sad. I was on the maiden voyage of the Norway in '80 and then sailed on her an additional 10 times. Falling in love with that ship is part of what made me want to work on a cruise ship so badly, a dream I later realized and indeed I did get to spend some time working on her. She was a grand ship, the class and elegance she possessed will always make her stand out in our memories and the history books as well. She will forever hold a special place in my heart and the memories I have of her will live forever.

• 3 weeks later...
I just received an e-mail saying she's going to the breakers in Bangaladesh. It's finally coming to an end.... :(

I offer up some pictures I just recently came across that I took when I sailed her (France) from NY to Le Havre in the Summer of 1963.

France0025.jpg.5edd7566effaab0b64694bfa7fc58277.jpg

France0028.jpg.0a0f5ed0ff8aae86df99737b4a7cfb4e.jpg

France0031.jpg.172c6e86cf778ea03057e8ce0540b259.jpg

France0035.jpg.993b6ead797a7a652ef0073ee257f8fa.jpg

France0036.jpg.6609fe6b0ffd52a63e26ed9a617246f1.jpg

I had lost track of the story since last month, and it is sad to see her beached.

She was our first family cruise in June-July of 2000 and I have the trip very well photographed and documented in our family scrapbook. I just looked over the pictures again, and while the ship was old, she was still elegant.

I remember however, at the captains party, it was discussed how the changing industry meant we should "enjoy" the Norway while we could. Not knowing anything about the cruise business, I was educated when the captain said look at those new ships with all those balconies and you could see where the future was heading. And lets face it, this ship, while state of the art in 1957, was not good on the gas mileage! It cost a ton to run the eastern carribean route.

It would have been nice for the Norway to have a tidyer outcome, but sometimes you just have to let go.

It will be interesting to see if Norway artifacts appear, but this ship has been "picked over" for 3 years now, so I am guessing most of what we remember from interior decor is long gone anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

What great memories I have of the SS FRANCE/NORWAY. My wife and I first crossed twice on her in 1973. We qualified for a student fare...I actually think that CGT was looking to add more young people onboard...lol. We had one of those inside cabins with bunks on B deck. We loved it...so cozy...and the steward was always there to help us with anything we wanted. Being an ocean liner nut...I was able to search thru the ship and see all of 1st Class...you should have seen the 1st. Class Swimming Pool...WOW!!!...but we felt very happy in Classe Touriste...what a wonderful mix of interesting people we met. The dining was devine and the service was fantastic. The French had a way of creating what they called "L'Atmosphere Transat"...so that by the 2nd day at sea you were feeling very comfortable and well cared for. By the 4th night out you were delirious...LOL. The FRANCE reeked of French perfume, fine Cuban cigars, the best French Chapmpagnes and fantastic wines, cognacs and Napolean brandies. Each evening was like New Years Eve and young and old couples danced and fell in love. Style was eveywhere...I even saw a young lady dressed in a white mink pant suit. We met really interesting people who took the time to get to know one and other.

Years later...in 1993...we were able to board the NORWAY...we had one of the new sky suites with floor to ceiling glass. What a difference from the old inside cabin...LOL. We had a wonderful cruise on NORWAY and we were able to see some of the same rooms that we remembered from 20 years before. A lot of the FRANCE had been left intact...she was beautiful. The Chambord main dining room was still gorgeous...breathtaking...even though she was overcrowded...she was still incredible...with those famous inlaid elm panels. She had been saved for a 2nd life and I guess you could not ask for any more.

I met the well known author and lecturer, on all things ocean liners,...onboard the NORWAY...John Maxtone Graham. JMG would sit in the

beautiful main lounge at night having cocktails with some of the officers...and you could tell that he was also tripping thru nostalgia...just as we were. JMG had a wonderful line in his introduction to his great book on liners..."The Only Way To Cross". He said something to the effect that the great liners disappeared suddenly like a good friend who had been hit by a bus in a traffic accident. That just about sums up the way I feel when I look upon that great ship now resting on the shoals of Alang.:(

Ross Blouin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did you ever consider the possibility that the Indian Court knows there is a plan to purchase the Norway and is holding off making a ruling until such person(s) can either make or break the deal? If Norway is bought, it takes one big headache away from the Indian court....let's hope that it is the reason for the delay!:cool:

From my limited experience in doing business in that part of the world, it is just as likely the "proper authorities" have not had thier wheels greased to their satisfaction yet.

The signatures come after the tribute has been paid.

Archived