Chops and the 18% added tip.

I did a mock booking for Chops for our cruise on Harmony a week and half from today. The charge is $49 pp. it used to say in the description that gratuity was included in the price. It doesn’t indicate that now. I believe you will be charged 18% when onboard at time of meal.

When we were onboard Brilliance, the published price onboard included the 18% But price was adjusted for it.

Not sure why online booking is not specific.

Bob, is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From my recent experience on the February Anthem sail. It seems that if you book via the cruise planner, no 18% is added. However, if you book on board, you will be charged the 18%. When we sail on Allure on Easter, I will know if the $49 listed in the cruise planner includes the grats. If, I get charged $49 + grats, then it tells me that there's different treatment between on board and on-line booking.

We were informed by a waiter at Chops on Indy that the 18% automatic added gratuity doesn't go to the waiter but rather to RCCL. Has anyone else heard this or know it to be fact or fiction??

Thanks for any info y'all can provide.

Yes, it is absolutely true. The service waiters on the ship, all work for free. None of them ever see any of the tips the guest give. It all goes to corporate for their pizza parties.

By the way, the waiter did not lie, they stretched the truth. When you prepay on your credit card, the tip is collected by RCCL. So the tip did go to RCCL. Now, the rest of the story. RCCL has this thing called the "payroll" department, which every company has this. The "payroll department" is tasked with "paying people", which is the transfer of money from RCCL to the employee. Of course many tips are "pooled tips". This policy is in their contract they signed, and understand. So the person stating this is either clueless on how they get paid, or are just trying to get more money out of you.

Yes, RCCL gets the tip first, prior to distribution of payroll.

I just tried a mock lunch booking, this is at the bottom under the names, res # & prices

*Service Charge

INCLUDED

Therefore, no extra service charge. I know when I look up what I paid for the drink package, there is the price for the package & a separate line for the service charge, so my assumption is that the price includes the 18% grat

I’ll try my mock dinner booking again. I didn’t see the * Service Charge. Doesn’t mean it was there. I might have just missed it. I was using my iPhone to do the mock booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums