? On getting to platinum status and # of cruises

pa247

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Since we are retired in Florida we've been thinking it would be easy to do multiple short cruises and get to platinum status pretty quick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Since we are retired in Florida we've been thinking it would be easy to do multiple short cruises and get to platinum status pretty quick.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That works but I haven't seen to many short cruises lately as there used to be.

Funny thing about all this "status" stuff. We have lots of frequent cruiser "status" on many lines (including Elite with Princess for many years). When we started cruising in the 70s...the status stuff was pretty new...but like some folks here we would dream about reaching a higher level. But now that we are at high (often the highest) level on about half a dozen cruise lines..it has relatively little meaning :). Go figure, And we have other cruising friends who are the same way...in that we generally avoid most (if not all) of the functions intended for those with various levels of status.

I will admit to liking some of the perks. Having free laundry on our really long cruises (often over a month) is really appreciated....even if Princess now does its best to discourage folks from using the service (I love the little notice in the cabin that says at least 3 days to have laundry back). The free mini-bar is a nice perk...although we would never consider booking a cruise on Princess because of a stocked mini-bar. Probably the best benefit on Princess (along with the free laundry) is the free internet time. Consider that even with over 500 days on HAL...they give us zero free internet!

What is really interesting is MSC's policy on "status." They now have a match program where they will match the status level from just about any cruise line or hotel chain. As a result, for our first MSC cruise we will be in their highest frequent cruiser category...even though we will not have spent a single day on one of their ships. But their benefits are pretty decent including a 5% discount (after any other discount) on their cruise prices..

Hank