Kosher Menu

DChudnow

Does anyone have an image of a kosher menu (or inventory) from a past Carnival cruise? I understand they are reheated airplane style meals, but I cannot seem to find a recent menu posted anywhere.

Thanks!

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/special-needs/dietary-needs.aspx

From a TA website

Kosher Meals

Kosher foods are those that conform to Jewish dietary laws. Carnival is able to provide Kosher meals for guests who request them. Kosher meals are available on all ships and itineraries, in limited quantities.

Procedures

Carnival accepts requests for Kosher meals up to 2-weeks prior to your embarkation date; for Europe cruises, the request will be accepted up to 8-weeks prior to the embarkation date. For last minute requests (within 2-weeks of the embarkation date), contact Guest Solutions to see if we are able to accommodate the request.

The meals cannot be requested through any e-channels.

General Information

Due to the limited choices, guests may still opt to bring their own pre-packaged meals or they may have the meals delivered to the ship. Guest Solutions will handle these requests as there are specific procedures regarding delivery and storage of the meals.

There are no selections for breakfast-type food but guests may order from the selections below.

The Kosher meals will only be served in the Main Dining Room during breakfast, lunch and dinner. When the ship is in port and the Main Dining Room is closed for lunch, arrangements can be made for the meal to be delivered by Room Service to the guest's stateroom.

Description of Selections

Roast Breast of Chicken with Sweet Noodle Kugel (pronounced KOO-gul), Carrots Tzimmise (pronounced TSIM-us) with Prunes

Pot Roast with Kishka (pronounced KISH-kuh) Oriental Vegetable Souffle

Turkey Schnitzel with Sweet Potato Spears and Spinach Croquettes

Fillet of Salmon with Steamed White Rice and Green Beans

Stuffed Cabbage and Barley Peas

Beef, Steak Grilled Jardimiere, Mashed Potatos and Chimi

Grilled Chicken Leg, Risotto and Spinach Kugel

Snapper, Pot Croq and Julienne Carrots

Description of Meal

Webermans Traditional Foods of Miami, Florida is the supplier of the meals.

The meals are Glatt Kosher.

Meals are delivered to the ship in frozen containers with double sealed plastic wrap.

A steamer is used to warm up the meals and served on disposable plates.

Edited by SadieN

I think that information is outdated (from as far back as 2010). From what I can find, Sterling Kosher is now the supplier. I am looking for an actual photo of a menu from a cruise within the last year or so.

I remember years ago we went on a cruise during yom kippur. We are reformed, and do not usually eat Kosher. However, my saba wanted to eat Kosher one night. I don't think he made any plans ahead... but they did accommodate him. It was basically a TV dinner and did not seem appetizing. Unless you are very religious I'd say skip it.

I understand the process for kosher cruising: You call the cruise line and then when you get on board you are given a seperate menu which has options of prepackaged airplane style meals that are reheated.

I am not asking if they taste good or if they are convenient, I just want to know if anyone who HAS ordered them happens to have an actual image of the menu. Sometimes they supply the whole inventory sheet, so that would be helpful too. I just want to know what sort of options I should be expecting. The one menu that I have found is the same one posted above which is from 8 years ago. I will just do some more research around the web and if I come across anything I will post it here for the future (and I will be sure to take a photo of my own menu when I get on my ship in May).

Does anyone have an image of a kosher menu (or inventory) from a past Carnival cruise? I understand they are reheated airplane style meals, but I cannot seem to find a recent menu posted anywhere.

Thanks!

UPDATE: I reached out to Carnival and finally heard back.

Here is their sample updated Kosher menu as of today (obviously this will vary based on sailings):

• Stuffed Cabbage
  • Pot Roast
  • Roast Turkey
  • Fillet of Salmon
  • Beef Jardiniere, Smashed Potato
  • Grill Chicken Leg, Risotto, Spinach Kugel
  • Snapper, Potato Croquette, Julienne Carrots
  • Veal Roulade, Garlic Mashed, Spinach Kugel
  • Vegetable Cheese Lasagna, Vegetable Asparagus Souffle
  • Beef Burger with Potato Croquette (Gluten Free)
  • Chicken Roast Stuffed, Vegetable Medley

Other info they provided (which is standard for American kosher catering like this):

• Supplier of Kosher Meals: Sterling Gourmet Kosher
  • The meals are Glatt Kosher.
  • Meals are delivered to the ship in frozen containers with double sealed plastic wrap.
  • A steamer is used to warm up the meals and served on disposable plates.
  • Disposable plastic cutlery (individually wrapped) is available.

Again, if you are a kosher consumer, you probably already understand how this works. After you request kosher meals from Carnival at latest 2 weeks in advance, you should make sure to talk to the head waiter on your first day. They will set you up with a seperate menu and you can pick what you would like to eat for that meal or any subsequent meal on the cruise. You do not have to reserve individual meals before your cruise date and the wait staff are always incredibly helpful (I can only assume this is the same on Carnival as it is on other ships). Be nice to them and they will be nice to you.

NOTE: don't complain about the quality of your prepackaged, reheated, unattractive kosher meal to the kitchen staff, they are already going out of their way to help be inclusive. As a kosher consumer, if you chose to go on a cruise for the amazing food then you should re-prioritize your vacation goals.:D:D:D:D

Please forgive my ignorance but can you not eat on regular plates and use regular silverware?

Depending on stringency level, utensils used with non kosher food takes on the status of also being non kosher. Think of kosher as being a cross contamination issue. If you had a peanut allergy, you wouldn't want to eat something that was cut with the same knife that just chopped peanuts. Non-kosher food acts like that (however if a mistake is made, it obviously would not result in hospitalization).

Also, don't think of it as ignorance, Judaism has a lot of rules to follow and a kosher diet is one which is most obvious externally when needing to interact with the rest of the non-Jewish world. Many cruise lines in recent years have tried to become more inclusive, by providing these airplane style meals, but it would be an insane waste of money to keep strictly kosher kitchen and utensils for the small percentage of Jews who are vacationing and actually care enough.

If you really want to learn more about kosher laws, this is a fine article to start with: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/kashrut-101/

Depending on stringency level, utensils used with non kosher food takes on the status of also being non kosher. Think of kosher as being a cross contamination issue. If you had a peanut allergy, you wouldn't want to eat something that was cut with the same knife that just chopped peanuts. Non-kosher food acts like that (however if a mistake is made, it obviously would not result in hospitalization).

Also, don't think of it as ignorance, Judaism has a lot of rules to follow and a kosher diet is one which is most obvious externally when needing to interact with the rest of the non-Jewish world. Many cruise lines in recent years have tried to become more inclusive, by providing these airplane style meals, but it would be an insane waste of money to keep strictly kosher kitchen and utensils for the small percentage of Jews who are vacationing and actually care enough.

If you really want to learn more about kosher laws, this is a fine article to start with: https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/kashrut-101/

Awesome! I will read it. Thank you so much!

I saw chocolate Easter Eggs in the Kosher section today at the store and couldn't help but laugh at the irony but it got me thinking, aren't most vegetarian dishes usually Kosher? Seems to me they could just keep the utensils for vegetarian dishes separate and that would be reasonably satisfactory and provide some fresher options for those who follow Kosher and Halal restrictions.

I remember years ago we went on a cruise during yom kippur. We are reformed, and do not usually eat Kosher. However, my saba wanted to eat Kosher one night. I don't think he made any plans ahead... but they did accommodate him. It was basically a TV dinner and did not seem appetizing. Unless you are very religious I'd say skip it.

Reform, not reformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw chocolate Easter Eggs in the Kosher section today at the store and couldn't help but laugh at the irony but it got me thinking, aren't most vegetarian dishes usually Kosher? Seems to me they could just keep the utensils for vegetarian dishes separate and that would be reasonably satisfactory and provide some fresher options for those who follow Kosher and Halal restrictions.

Think of kashrut as Jewish OCD. You need at least 4 sets of plates and silverware etc and if you mess up the plate you need to either submerge it in the mikvah (ritual bath) or bury it.

Please understand that these meals are for dinner only. For breakfast and lunch we brought our relatives to the Lido deck. There they chose from cereal, fruit, salad, etc. However, now you have the standard dishes and silverware unless you're planning on bring paper plates and plastic utensils.

They ate from the salad bar? God forbid. Then your relatives aren’t really kosher.

Think of kashrut as Jewish OCD. You need at least 4 sets of plates and silverware etc and if you mess up the plate you need to either submerge it in the mikvah (ritual bath) or bury it.

Glass would take care of everything.

Like your example, Jewish OCD [emoji23]

Thanks for the info. I met Matisyahu (Jewish Reggae/Rapper/Beat box champ) at a Kosher Subway in college before one of his shows and chatted him up and maybe took context from the conversation that was unintended. He was saying how pumped he was to get Subway but not too many places have Kosher Subways, Cleveland being one of the few. He said he was sick of eating vegetarian on the road so maybe I read too much into that statement.

Thanks for the info.