What to do in San Juan

cfgold

I am in desperate need of advice! Never been to St. Maarten (8a-5p), St. Thomas (12p-8p), or San Juan (8a-5p) and would like to get help in planning excursions post-hurricane. Here is what I want to do: One port, chill at the beach (prefer adult beach with drinks and food). One port, do shopping (nothing fancy, just walk around and shop). The other port, maybe a little walking around and then hanging at a fun/wild restaurant. Note the times that we will be at each location. It doesn't have to be a ship-sponsored excursion. I have been scouring the internet for weeks and just can't decide which destination is best for our desired activities.

St. Thomas has the best shopping of the three. Also nice beaches.

St. Maarten’s Orient Beach is as “adult” as you could ask for ;-) Also a lovely beach with plenty of drinks, food, loungers for rent. I haven’t been there since hurricane season, but I’m sure they are up and running.

San Juan is one of the most interesting ports in the Caribbean to do a walking tour, or just walk around. They also have many great, fun restaurants.

I was in San Juan right after last year's Hurricane in December 2017. I just followed a self guided walking tour guide and walked around in old San Juan and went to one of the forts. The trolley car was not even running yet. Our time was from 8AM to 2PM so time was tight. It was sunny outside and some Viking tour groups were walking along the same path. Friendly people. Some stores were already opened. Some places were empty and closed. The old town was on cobber stone and colorful building. Not the newest modern style, but still pleasant to look at.

Later one of my client's family also lives in San Juan and some photos of private house were showed to me then I realized how bad the situation was and are for the residents. The whole 1st floor were in water and everything were covered by mug. However, they already cleaned out the house and are working on rebuild.

Enjoy your stay in San Juan.

We were just planning on walking around old San Juan and going to the forts ourselves. Is it safe?

That’s what we did in February. No problems. Also, the free trolley is operating so that will save you some walking.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was in San Juan right after last year's Hurricane in December 2017. I just followed a self guided walking tour guide and walked around in old San Juan and went to one of the forts. The trolley car was not even running yet. Our time was from 8AM to 2PM so time was tight. It was sunny outside and some Viking tour groups were walking along the same path. Friendly people. Some stores were already opened. Some places were empty and closed. The old town was on cobber stone and colorful building. Not the newest modern style, but still pleasant to look at.

Later one of my client's family also lives in San Juan and some photos of private house were showed to me then I realized how bad the situation was and are for the residents. The whole 1st floor were in water and everything were covered by mug. However, they already cleaned out the house and are working on rebuild.

Enjoy your stay in San Juan.

Would you share the name of the self guided walking tour that you used. We would like to do something similar. Thanks.

I am in desperate need of advice! Never been to St. Maarten (8a-5p), St. Thomas (12p-8p), or San Juan (8a-5p) and would like to get help in planning excursions post-hurricane. Here is what I want to do: One port, chill at the beach (prefer adult beach with drinks and food). One port, do shopping (nothing fancy, just walk around and shop). The other port, maybe a little walking around and then hanging at a fun/wild restaurant. Note the times that we will be at each location. It doesn't have to be a ship-sponsored excursion. I have been scouring the internet for weeks and just can't decide which destination is best for our desired activities.

We just got back from these places- my vote is chill in St Maarten- $7 for round trip water taxi, go all the way down the beach by the pier and find the guys in the VHP shirts- $5 for a chair and umbrella that includes a free drink and they will wait on you hand and foot without being annoying. SUCH a good time! St Thomas is THE place to shop! They also have a gondola you can ride for around $12 that gives you an AMAZING view of the island. San Juan has lots of nightlife- especially in Old San Juan which is right near port. We loved all of these stops!

Edited to add: we felt very safe walking around at night in Old San Juan. Lots of people out and about! Definitely safe during the day. We must have walked 10 miles- it’s very easy to see a lot in a short period of time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Would you share the name of the self guided walking tour that you used. We would like to do something similar. Thanks.

In response to your question, I am not sure the policy regarding posting website, but here is where I found the self guided walking tour: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

I think he is just a blogger, not operating any of the tours.

I had a little difficulty to start in the beginning because I have no sense of direction! Good thing is that my cell works in San Juan so I had internet and compared pictures.

In response to your question, I am not sure the policy regarding posting website, but here is where I found the self guided walking tour: http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/old-san-juan-walking-tour-1/

I think he is just a blogger, not operating any of the tours.

I had a little difficulty to start in the beginning because I have no sense of direction! Good thing is that my cell works in San Juan so I had internet and compared pictures.

Thank You so much for posting.

Very helpful for planning our next visit.

• 3 weeks later...

San Juan is safe, especially in the Old Town area. We've been many times, and stay longer each time because we love it so much. It is a city, so be aware of your surroundings and pay attention like you would in any city. But you don't need to worry about your personal safety.

edited to add:

Walking around old town and going to one or both of the forts is a perfect plan for the day. You'll have a great time! Enjoy!

Edited by CalypsoGirl
edited to add:

Orient on St Maarten is the best beach to check out, hand’s down!

Great thread... we are doing our second cruise next spring and our ports are San Juan, Gran Turk, St Thomas and Amber Cove (Carnival Breeze out of Port Canaveral). We did the whole cruise-line excursion thing in Mexico on our first cruise but it gets so pricey - nice to know that San Juan you can kind of just wing it and walk. Any particular bar/restaurants that anyone can recommend in the area of Old San Juan? Looking for good drinks and food and a party atmosphere.

Great thread... we are doing our second cruise next spring and our ports are San Juan, Gran Turk, St Thomas and Amber Cove (Carnival Breeze out of Port Canaveral). We did the whole cruise-line excursion thing in Mexico on our first cruise but it gets so pricey - nice to know that San Juan you can kind of just wing it and walk. Any particular bar/restaurants that anyone can recommend in the area of Old San Juan? Looking for good drinks and food and a party atmosphere.

Definitey check out Barrachinas for a Pina Colada! They have great food as well (fyi - the appetizer sampler for two really can feed 3 or 4 and is a bunch of different types of great local food!). It’s not a “party atmosphere” by any means. If you want a party atmosphere, you probably unfortunately will have to check out the tourist-trap plces (like Senor Frogs...)

St. Thomas has the best shopping of the three. Also nice beaches.

St. Maarten’s Orient Beach is as “adult” as you could ask for ;-) Also a lovely beach with plenty of drinks, food, loungers for rent. I haven’t been there since hurricane season, but I’m sure they are up and running.

San Juan is one of the most interesting ports in the Caribbean to do a walking tour, or just walk around. They also have many great, fun restaurants.

We love walking in all 3 ports.

Definitey check out Barrachinas for a Pina Colada! They have great food as well (fyi - the appetizer sampler for two really can feed 3 or 4 and is a bunch of different types of great local food!). It’s not a “party atmosphere” by any means. If you want a party atmosphere, you probably unfortunately will have to check out the tourist-trap plces (like Senor Frogs...)

Thanks for the recommendation!! I guess when I really think about it we are going on an average Tuesday afternoon (to the locals) in a big city, and there’s really no party atmosphere unless it’s a weekend or evening lol. I don’t want to go to a Senior Frogs haha so you’re right - I have to adjust my expectations and go somewhere that has good food and drink - enough partying will happen on the cruise 👍🏻