Upgrade bids: The website SAYS no, but...

Hi, all. I'm eagerly looking forward to my first NCL cruise when we go to Alaska this summer. I've read lots and lots aaaaand lots of posts on this forum, and I thank you all for sharing your experiences. I feel excited and pleasantly knowledgeable.

One question, if you please. Our family has two inside cabins that are right next to each other. I'd like to keep that proximity, no matter what. But if we're offered the opportunity to upgrade, we'd like to give that a try.

Is there any chance we could expect to stay together, and have them treat our two rooms as a block for purposes of upgrading/moving? NCL's website FAQs say nah:

3. What happens if I am part of a group or traveling with another reservation?

Each offer is considered individually, and NCL cannot guarantee that all reservations traveling together will be upgraded, if any. Under the circumstance that all reservations are upgraded, NCL cannot guarantee that all the upgraded cabins will be close together.

...but I'm wondering if that's a hard and fast rule, or if there's some room for persuasion. Could talking to a real live person at NCL convince them otherwise?

Has anyone had experience with this, either favorable or un-? Thanks.

Nope. So one cabin could be on deck 13 and another cabin on deck 9.

It's advisable if you want to stay in cabins next to each other you upgrade yourself by paying or stay where you are.

Honestly, you are out so much in Alaska. You won't be in your cabins except to sleep and shower.