Easter Wind

Silver Spectre

An interesting day in Sanama, Dominican Republic today.

Back on the ship and ready for the 5 o'clock VIP wine and food pairing in La Dame.

According to Norman, the head sommelier, 17 guests invited, 10 accepted and the other 8 not only didn't turn up, but didn't even bother to cancel.

Seriously bad form.

So we had to eat double and drink all their wine!2ad47c33a2fa1d3098cdf88114dc84e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

According to Norman, the head sommelier, 17 guests invited, 10 accepted and the other 8 not only didn't turn up, but didn't even bother to cancel. Seriously bad form.
Bad form indeed!

My guesses, left to right:

1. Red Meritage
  2. White Burgundy
  3. Chardonnay
  4. Sauvigon Blanc
  5. Sangiovese

Talking of Norman - last Nov I asked for a bottle of the Tokaji from the connoisseurs list. He looked puzzled until I pointed to the item. ''Ah,'' he said. ''That is pronounced tock-adge-ee.''

Wel, it's not, it's pronounced ''Toe-keye''. It made me a tad uncertain but I'm pleased to inform you all that one of the crew was Hungarian and confirmed my pronunciation.

Yes, but Norman is an expert.....just ask him. He is no more a sommelier than I am an astronaut. Does either Silversea or Seabourn have a rated sommelier working a ship?

Edited by oregon50

Talking of Norman - last Nov I asked for a bottle of the Tokaji from the connoisseurs list. He looked puzzled until I pointed to the item. ''Ah,'' he said. ''That is pronounced tock-adge-ee.''

Wel, it's not, it's pronounced ''Toe-keye''. It made me a tad uncertain but I'm pleased to inform you all that one of the crew was Hungarian and confirmed my pronunciation.

It's what we expect from a man who comes from Bangalore, but he does try. He, along with many crew, goes home on Friday, so we start all over again.

Yes, but Norman is an expert.....just ask him. He is no more a sommelier than I am an astronaut. Does either Silversea or Seabourn have a rated sommelier working a ship?

I very much doubt it. The only SS person who really knows wine is Lawrence.

We rate Karolina very highly and also a Bosnian chap whose name escapes me. Karolina is particularly knowledgeable but, more importantly, always ensures that my Tokaji always arrives with the dessert regardless of which venue we are in. Top marks.

As you say rightly say - it is extremely bad form - not even having the common courtesy to inform reception that you will not be attending. Maybe they are not aware of what R.S.V.P. means!!

Count the invitation Silver Spectre, as a dividend for the major investment which you have placed with Manfredi over the years!

Glad you are still enjoying the cruise - awaiting more news as and when.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

We rate Karolina very highly and also a Bosnian chap whose name escapes me. Karolina is particularly knowledgeable but, more importantly, always ensures that my Tokaji always arrives with the dessert regardless of which venue we are in. Top marks.

I remembered! His name is Florian.

As you say rightly say - it is extremely bad form - not even having the common courtesy to inform reception that you will not be attending. Maybe they are not aware of what R.S.V.P. means!!

Count the invitation Silver Spectre, as a dividend for the major investment which you have placed with Manfredi over the years!

Glad you are still enjoying the cruise - awaiting more news as and when.

Kindest regards

Master Echo

We had an interesting day in Grand Turk, which is not somewhere we would rush back too. Left at 1pm on our way to Key West on Thursday and US immigration (again). Happy to see the back of the Carnivore Splendor (not). It's our Venetian night tonight and we will be with el Capitano in La Terrazza.

Pretty appalled to see Antonio allow one guest into the MDR without a jacket on an Informal night, even the teenagers onboard knew better and dressed with a jacket. Generally, the dress code has been very well supported.

And, here I have thought for years it was Tō-kī-ē whereas Tō is pronounced as you say in "Toe" like the thing on your foot.

Yes but I don't know how to write pronunciations

It's 3 syllables but the final syllable - an ee sound - is truncated. Maybe that's what your e with a hat on signifies?

Yes but I don't know how to write pronunciations

It's 3 syllables but the final syllable - an ee sound - is truncated. Maybe that's what your e with a hat on signifies?

Haha! No problem at all. Writing pronunciations is hard.

The "ee" sound you reference is what I meant with the horizontal line above the "e".

It's good to know that I'm on the same page with you!

Haha! No problem at all. Writing pronunciations is hard.

The "ee" sound you reference is what I meant with the horizontal line above the "e".

It's good to know that I'm on the same page with you!

One thing it isn't is Tok-adge-eee!!

Hello all. Sorry I’m late jumping in here. We’re on the Wind now also. I’ve been trying to get the Meet and Mingle straightened out. Silversea reception maintains there is no M&M. I went back to Reception this morning to show them the emails confirming. They said they’d look into it again but it doesn’t look like they’re going to hold a Meet and Mingle for us.

I’m traveling with my husband and two others who are signed up and have met Norcalman and his partner, who are also signed up.

On a side note, our traveling companions (on a different deck) got their invite to our TA’s cocktail party and we didn’t. Reception said the invite was delivered to our suite. Also did not receive the reminder card for Our La Terraza reservations.

Silver Spectre, I’d love to meet you and your wife. I’m wondering if we already have? Were you having dinner with Isabel in the Restaurant last night?

Hello all. Sorry I’m late jumping in here. We’re on the Wind now also. I’ve been trying to get the Meet and Mingle straightened out. Silversea reception maintains there is no M&M. I went back to Reception this morning to show them the emails confirming. They said they’d look into it again but it doesn’t look like they’re going to hold a Meet and Mingle for us.

I’m traveling with my husband and two others who are signed up and have met Norcalman and his partner, who are also signed up.

On a side note, our traveling companions (on a different deck) got their invite to our TA’s cocktail party and we didn’t. Reception said the invite was delivered to our suite. Also did not receive the reminder card for Our La Terraza reservations.

Silver Spectre, I’d love to meet you and your wife. I’m wondering if we already have? Were you having dinner with Isabel in the Restaurant last night?

Hi Napria, shame about the M&M, but too late now. Hope you are having a good time anyway. We were with Capt Rutigliano in La Terrazza last night.

Oh well. Despite not getting invites and reminders... although we are getting some... we’re thoroughly enjoying this cruise. The Wind is a lovely ship and we’ve met so many wonderful people, fellow passengers and crew alike!