internet

jean74

Does anyone have any experience with home laptop computers and internet access on the Princess line? Talked with Princess and they cannnot tell me if my wireless card will work or be compatible with theirs. They will sell me one for $54.00. They also said if I go to the atruim or internet cafe on my own computer their is no charge?? Any one know for sure?

If you have wireless at home, chances are it is compatible onboard.

Dawn Princess charged us for 30 min of wireless time (in the atrium) non refundable if unused.

Connection was unavailable (satellite) at various times as well as in the computer/internet room. I just saved the hassle and purchased time by the minute on their computers and accessed "web-mail".

I'm interested whether passengers can use their own wireless computer without cost in Princess Internet cafes (Sea Princess). What about in Caribbean ports? Is wireless available (free) in various places in Caribbean ports?

Wireless access, using your own WiFi-ready laptop, is $10.50 for thirty minutes. Same price as the ship's Internet cafe, except there it's simply 35 cents a minute...no need to pre-purchase a block of thirty minutes.

But...you'll get much more done in less time using your own laptop. Log on, pull down email, log off. Take your time reading and composing replies...without the ticking clock. Then log on, send, log off. No muss, no fuss.

As long as your card is 802.11b or 802.11g - you will be fine.

You will have to go where the hotspot is on your ship. Most ships it is the atrium. They will be able to tell you where the wireless access points are. The newer ships may have access points in the internet cafes also. All ships in the Princess fleet have wireless access in some parts of their ship.

Wireless is not free on the ship - even for Platinum. It is $10.50 for 30 minutes.

I have used my own computer and have had to pay. My wireless cards work fine. Cheaper and more assured of connection is going to an INternet cafe in port and using their computers. The price varies depending one where you are at; I have found it for $2.00/hr in Africa on a Med cruise. There are interenet sites that list internet cafes around the world. It seems that more and more ports have an internet cafe right at the port. Ask a crew member as many of them use port internet cafes to send messages home. They probably know the cheapest places.

Archived