Star drydock - what is planned?

NCTribeFan

Just got off the Star on June 3, Family Suite 12530. Awesome room, just redone. A little bit of streaking on one window, but not significant. Joggers overhead, but really didn't bother us. I would book this room again in a heartbeat. In addition to cabin steward and butler, we also had an assistant butler (in training) and were very pampered by these guys.

glad you liked your suite but it sounds like they did NOT change out all those cloudy windows! so much for promises....will have to think about cancelling our cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Back from the transatlantic cruise on the very tired "Star". On a chat with captain he pointed mostly upgrade will be on the restaurant area. About child area I think they're gonna change the "Ice cream" area.

I spotted at least one group of subcontractors working during the cross. I ask at one of technician about specifically what they're doing, he was vague but his company is on the HVAC area renovation so because they're working on the after compressor area, I think they use the cross to start disassembling or replacing stuff around.

Anyway COB Marek told me they're gonna check pods seals (again) "just in case" and renovate one gen unit.

I hope they're doing something about the outdated cabin but seems not enough time.

We will be sailing on the Star in November and just got this information in an email from NCL:

We have converted the children's pool area to an exclusive adults-onlyexperience with the introduction of Spice H2O in the aft of the ship. This newspace adds another relaxation area on board. In addition, the main pool deckhas been slightly modified with the removal of the water slides, offering amore open space for guests of all ages to enjoy.

Dedicated children activities will remain available with the Splash Academy andTeen Club.

I was on the transatlantic - my first NCL cruise and first TA. I really enjoyed it.

I wrote a review in the Review section. I normally write and post one on the cruiseline section (here) but just didn't have time. I still haven't uploaded all my photos (we spent 3 days in Barcelona then did the westbound return on Carnival Horizon).

I personally didn't think the ship looked "old" or "tired" but I don't look for these things. I expect wear and tear given the number of feet and derrieres that pass through them.

Friends had suite 12032. Nice cabin. No window issues that I heard of (or saw when I was in there) but the cabin did have huge dryers in it when we boarded, (and there were several in that section of Deck 12). Never heard what happened except a rumor that they had listing when docking that morning in Miami and the pool had flooded. Would not have been happy and certainly would not have been a good first impression of the ship or NCL. No idea if any compensation was given but having those huge, noisy things in my cabin, and water seeping onto the bathroom floor, making it very slick, would have made me unhappy.

Bought a future cruise certificate. May do the TA next spring. Think the Spice H2O sounds great.

Didn't see any evidence of workers but I'll take the poster's word for it that they were there.

Sounds like NCL is really trying to persuade travelers with children to NOT book the Star. Taking out the children swim area AND the waterslides, in my opinion, is a mistake. We had a cruise reserved on the Star and were taking our 8 yr. old grand-daughter. Will probably have to change to a different cruise/ship, now!