Star drydock - what is planned?

NCTribeFan

Some more info from my PCC.

Norwegian Star Drydock:

The following changes will occur to the F&B operation during the Star dry dock scheduled from May 6 – May 24, 2018:

• Spinnaker Lounge refurbished and re-branded to Bliss Lounge
  • Java Café re-branded to Atrium Café & Bar
    • Note – bar is removed. Beverages will be services from 5 o’Clock bar. Repurpose two mobile tablets

[*]Bier Garten refurbished and re-branded to Sky High

[*]Removal of Hot Rock concept from the Asian complex

[*]Addition of a second Teppanyaki table

[*]Le Bistro and La Cucina to swap locations

[*]Kid's Aqua Park removed to become Spice H2O.

[*]Juice bar removed from fitness center.

That is interesting about kids aqua park. I guess that makes sense from a corporate move and how often kids are on the ship but now I can give parents who ask about sailing the Star no reason to sail her.

I've been on Star twice and once that area was pretty empty. The second time it was packed with kids. But I guess that now gives adults another area to use and it is a great location.

It is unconscionable to turn a cruise ship into a construction zone during an actual cruise. Even more so during a transatlantic with a long stretch of sea days. I can't imagine not being able to access public areas and decks. Passengers pay for an experience on the entire ship, not to sail restricted to their cabins.

Thank you, BostonGal.

That list doesn't mention the pool deck replacement.

I'm hoping that IF they begin work while we're sailing, that they'll wait until we reach Europe and do work during the day when most people are off the ship.

Is there any point in writing to anyone at NCL and asking whether they'll begin work during our sailing? I'd love to have "evidence" that there's no cause for concern. Just in case it turns out that there was plenty of cause for concern!

I think the spinnaker lounge has been a missing data point for awhile, It has always been on Deck 7 aft, but doesn't show up on the public lists. Being a Bingo fan, it would be a terrible cruise to have the SL closed!

That is not correct. Dawn and Star had the large, front lounge on deck 12 forward up until 2010/2011 and was replaced by suites and inside cabins.

The lounge was moved to 7 aft where the shops were and the shops moved to more mid/forward.

A little concerned that they plan to remove the kids splash zone as this was one of the reasons we chose this cruise as we have young ones who love splashing around in kids pools.

I have contacted NCL and they seem to not have a clue what is and is not going on during dry dock.

One email claimed the following, which looking at Spice H20 on other Ships I find a little difficult to believe!

Thank you for your email.

Please be informed that as per the information we have about the enhancements on NCL Star the Juice Bar in the gym refurbished and re-branded to Spice H20. There is no mention about the Kids Pool being removed.

Thanks and Regards,

Juliana Camilleri

Guest Services

I have requested clarification but no response? Thoughts?

Im on Star now. Kids water park is def going away and Spice H2O is going in. We were told this on the behind the scenes tour.

Have a nice trip. So is the juice bar in the gym completely going away or relocated to Spice? We never saw it used on Star when in the gym. I could see it maybe going down to spa area though or just removed completely.

Im on Star now. Kids water park is def going away and Spice H2O is going in. We were told this on the behind the scenes tour.

I'm excited to read this. I just switched a cruise from Star to Epic. The change was made, in part, to not sail on Star. It sounds like FDR has a major edit planned akin to that done to Dawn and Jade. I think the addition of Spice H2O is inspired; and I'm glad that Spinnaker is being rebranded as Bliss. (I said a few years ago they should have done that.) Now I will have to figure out when I'm going to sail Star.

FTR, I sent a pre-cruise email and got a phone call last week (which I missed) and another the next day (which I also missed - hey - it's tax season and I'm busy). The second time, the "help desk supervisor" left a VM (and stupid me deleted it and now can't retrieve it) but she assured me that no work would be done during the TA.

She did, though, say work was being done on the sailing before us (is that a PC cruise happening now) but that all work would be complete by 4/19.

I would really have preferred to receive this info in writing since I'm not sure I believe her, but at least I have her name and extension #.

So, maybe they're doing the decks during the PC sailing, as they did on Sun, but doing the other renovations in dry dock.

I can't worry it about it any more. What will be, will be.

Did read elsewhere that someone just off the ship thought the food was mediocre and that the ship was in need of much repair. But the biggest complaint was the noise from the galley over the cabin. That is the passenger's fault for not looking at deck plans prior to booking.

I expect wear and tear. Just as long as big portions of the ship aren't out of service, I'll be just fine. ;)

Hey BostonGal...following up....How are the windows in your Family Suite? Any conformation on the windows being fixed in dry dock? Hope you are having a great time right now :D

Some more info from my PCC.

Norwegian Star Drydock:

The following changes will occur to the F&B operation during the Star dry dock scheduled from May 6 – May 24, 2018:

• Le Bistro and La Cucina to swap locations

Good idea. La Cucina has a bigger area BUT is never full. Unlike Le Bistro - always full and hard to get a reservation. Simply put Le Bistro has the best food on this ship. Whoever is running Le Bistro at the Star is doing a good job.

Hey BostonGal...following up....How are the windows in your Family Suite? Any conformation on the windows being fixed in dry dock? Hope you are having a great time right now :D

Hi JVS. Did you happen across fogged windows in deck 12 suites on your last trip? There hasn't been much talk about it since the last drydock.

Just had a call back from NCL!

They claim to have not a clue about what work is scheduled for the Star!

So no one at NCL can confirm or deny anything other than it's going into dry dock!

To me it seems like there is some serious communication issues at NCL.

Work like this would have to be planned probably at least 18 months ahead of schedule. Designs approved materials ordered etc etc.

I will keep asking and see what happens.

Hi JVS. Did you happen across fogged windows in deck 12 suites on your last trip? There hasn't been much talk about it since the last drydock.

Hey Dex! Yes, we had fogged windows. In November we were in 12508 and 3 of the 4 windows were bad. I had ongoing emails from the Hotel Director about the windows since we had 3 more cruises booked in those Family Suites. He sent me a list of "the good, the bad and the ugly" windows. So on our March cruise we were in 12022 and all 4 windows were perfectly fine! We are hoping the HD's assurance that they will be fixed during drydock will be true, as we have 3 suites booked next March and one is on the "bad" list. :cool:

On another note...are you doing more MSC cruises in Yacht Club? We want to try them, but YC is always sold out on the dates we want :confused:

Hey Dex! Yes, we had fogged windows. In November we were in 12508 and 3 of the 4 windows were bad. I had ongoing emails from the Hotel Director about the windows since we had 3 more cruises booked in those Family Suites. He sent me a list of "the good, the bad and the ugly" windows. So on our March cruise we were in 12022 and all 4 windows were perfectly fine! We are hoping the HD's assurance that they will be fixed during drydock will be true, as we have 3 suites booked next March and one is on the "bad" list. :cool:

On another note...are you doing more MSC cruises in Yacht Club? We want to try them, but YC is always sold out on the dates we want :confused:

Do you think you could share the HD's list of "the good, the bad and the ugly"? those of us who also have cruises book in these family suites would be eternally grateful ..it is usually a dice game with us.! thanks!!!!

Do you think you could share the HD's list of "the good, the bad and the ugly"? those of us who also have cruises book in these family suites would be eternally grateful ..it is usually a dice game with us.! thanks!!!!

Sure thing:) Heres hoping they will get fixed during the drydock!!!!!

Here is the list the HD sent to me (it includes all suites on deck 12)

·Family suites with water marks on the window or steamy windows between the glass:

12502, 12506, 12510, 12512, 12520, 12522, 12526, 12528, 12530, 12530

·Family suites that the windows are NOT in good condition:

12500, 12508, 12002, 12008, 12018

·Family suites with windows in good condition:

12000, 12006,012010, 12012, 12020, 12022, 12026, 12028, 12030, 12032, 12516, 12518

·Family suites with water marks on the window or steamy windows between the glass:

12000, 12006,012010, 12012, 12020, 12022, 12026, 12028, 12030, 12032, 12516, 12518

Thanks..off to switch cabins for our Christmas cruise....this should be a "Sticky" LOL! oops, did not see 12016 hoping that is because it is the one Excellent one!

Edited by puli

Thanks..off to switch cabins for our Christmas cruise....this should be a "Sticky" LOL!

Glad I could help.

On a side note, we noticed cigarette smoke smell in the hallways on the 500 (port) side, while we noticed none on the 000 (starboard) side if that helps in a cabin choice for you :)

For what it is worth. We were in 12002 two weeks ago. We were told the windows were supposed to be addressed during the drydock.

I sure hope someone will come back from post drydock and report.

I will be sure to email the HD and ask post drydock too!

Could anyone give further information regarding family suites where windows are NOT in good condition? We are booked into suite 12018 on the Star in August.

I am now a little alarmed that the windows allowing a panoramic view may not actually do so. I have just tried to do a dummy booking to see which other suites are available. It seems all suites are sold out on our cruise. I think I will send an email enquiring about windows in these suites and set the ball in motion that I’m not particularly happy about it. Hoping they confirm this will be addressed during dry dock.

Could anyone give further information regarding family suites where windows are NOT in good condition? We are booked into suite 12018 on the Star in August.

I am now a little alarmed that the windows allowing a panoramic view may not actually do so. I have just tried to do a dummy booking to see which other suites are available. It seems all suites are sold out on our cruise. I think I will send an email enquiring about windows in these suites and set the ball in motion that I’m not particularly happy about it. Hoping they confirm this will be addressed during dry dock.

I guess I have some faith that the windows will be fixed in May, as I have 12018 booked for me and my DH in March 2019 with 12020 and 12022 booked for the kids.;) I know 12022 has good windows from our last cruise and have booked that suite again for this November.

If NCL gives you any info when you call, please come back and post!

I think many of us booked on the Star would like to hear from anyone sailing in a family suite after dry dock...If the front desk does not absolutely say the windows were replaced could you try to peek in as many as possible and report back. Of interest for sure would be 12016,12018,12020 and 12022. THANKS!,

I am travelling with family and friends who also have family suites booked. Between us we have either 12016, 12018, 12020 or 12018, 12020 and 12022 booked (I can’t remember their exact rooms but know we are all side by side). I will repost once I have had a reply from NCL regarding plans for the window suites whilst in dry dock. Hopefully we will have confirmation from other passengers also post dry dock but I will happily repost my views following our cruise in August.

I’m happy to see they are adding a further teppanyaki table. We were on the Pearl December 2016 and spent New Year’s Eve in the teppanyaki and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are hoping to book our party of 14 into the teppanyaki on the Star in August to celebrate a birthday but it seems to only seat around 12 at present 🙄