4 night pre-cruise in Alaska

stacieps

I've just recently started researching for a 2007 family trip (could end up being a pretty large group); we are all from New Hampshire. I had originally been thinking r/t Seattle just because it seemed that the travel arrangements would be easier.

Now I'm thinking of a Southbound on the Carnival Spirit for a few reasons. 1-general opinion on this board seems to be that one-ways offer more in your trip; 2-most of the group has cruised with Carnival (carribean) and are comfortable with it, size of rooms, etc. (and the possibility of a military discount that other lines don't offer) 3-the Wednesday departure seems like it would work well for us, we could fly to AK on Saturday and spend a few days in AK, then cruise to Vancouver and fly home from there or Seattle.

I've requested visitor guides for most of the ports (thanks to Budgetqueen's links in other threads), so we'll be able to go through those soon.

Of course, 2007 schedules aren't out yet, so I can't really compare anything for real.

I'm looking for any opinions or suggestions about what I should be looking at or considering - does it look like I'm on the right track? Our group (10-20) will range in age from 7 to 60s.

My opinion only 4 days is not enough time for interior Alaska travel. Especially with your group being all the way there, try for some added days. Key highlights are Denali Park and Seward. A day in Anchorage is very worth while and an overnight in Talkeetna. Add Homer if you can spare the time. A contracted shuttle bus would be ideal, but also easy with several rental cars for the utmost freedom. :) Plenty to see and do!!!

Budget Queen: Along those lines ... if it is out of the question to add more than say 3-4 extra days, would it be better to forgo the cruiselines "cruisetour" option so you can do just one or two locations more extensively on your own? If yes ... and you are only two people, rent a car, or book a local tour?

Budget Queen: Along those lines ... if it is out of the question to add more than say 3-4 extra days, would it be better to forgo the cruiselines "cruisetour" option so you can do just one or two locations more extensively on your own? If yes ... and you are only two people, rent a car, or book a local tour?

Definately!!!! I am no fan of cruisetours and ideally for superb Alaska travel, group point to point fixed travel is lacking. There is so much "small" stuff that the tours just miss. :(

Before I am flammed, my advice is for those with the interest of independent travel and waivering on the touring choice. In those cases I always recommend going on your own. Never do you see any postings from prior converts ever stating they wished they had gone on a cruisetour. :)

With 3 - 4 days, you can still do Denali Park and maybe Seward if your cruise leaves/arrives there. Yes maybe a little fasted paced but the best option under the circumstances. Make the most of any time you can have in Alaska is my opinion. :)

Budget Queen and Yukon: thanks for the replies. It helps guide us with our planning and decision making. The more research we have done, the more we can see that what we once considered just a quick trip to check it out, will more likely need to be one of several adventures to Alaska ... just to scratch the surface!!

Your experience and advice is very much appreciated. It is the best side of these boards (the flip side of the "your opinion is not the same as mine and, therefore, must be wrong")!! Please keep it coming!

Archived