Uniworld- Remarkable Rhine

E316

Hmmmm....I’m not sure you really enjoyed your trip? it sounds like it was just OK? The money we are paying for this cruise I guess Im expecting it to be fantastic!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Mine was fantastic. We had done two AmaWaterways, which we loved, and Uniworld is equally as pleasing to us.

If I have to fault anything, it would be the design of the ship. It's rare on any ship, I think, to have to walk down a hallway of staterooms to get to the dining room.

I also, though, think we had a different menu than Elyce did, which might imply we had a different head chef and might be why we actually were quite happy with the food. I thought we had a bit more variety on our menu than what she had. Also, we had a server who was excellent -- and we often sat at a round for six (sometimes squeezing in seven).

In reviewing my review, I just want to be clear. My trip would have turned out more positive if my husband and I had made better choices in the dining room table arrangements. If you want to have better social experiences you need a bigger table. A table for 4 which we had did not work well. I saw some tables with only 2 people at them. On all the other cruises we took we always had a table of 6. Also for all of you that are going to ride the bikes, you will have a unique experience. That will

add to your trip. I hope all the future cruisers make good choices and you will have a wonderful time. As far as the food everyone has different opinions and remember Uniworld is there to please. One couple on our trip special ordered Wiener schnitze

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May B,

Hi,

You mentioned your menu was a little too different then ours.

What made it so?

Just curious!

You know, now I surely wish I had photographed mine, as you did! I feel like we had a bit more choice at dinner. I know a few of your menus didn't really appeal to me all that much, while on my cruise, I was quite satisfied, every evening.

Welcome home, and thank you for posting the menus, the daily programs, and the beautiful food photos!

In reviewing my review, I just want to be clear. My trip would have turned out more positive if my husband and I had made better choices in the dining room table arrangements. If you want to have better social experiences you need a bigger table. A table for 4 which we had did not work well. I saw some tables with only 2 people at them. On all the other cruises we took we always had a table of 6. Also for all of you that are going to ride the bikes, you will have a unique experience. That will

add to your trip. I hope all the future cruisers make good choices and you will have a wonderful time. As far as the food everyone has different opinions and remember Uniworld is there to please. One couple on our trip special ordered Wiener schnitze

Let's remind people that you are free to dine at a different table every evening if you wish. If you start out as you did at a table for four and you're not loving the other two people at your table, I think you could kind of time it differently or find another couple at the social hour/briefing, before going into dinner. It would be quite polite, I suppose, to mention to the other couple that you have other plans, so they won't be waiting for you.

I was traveling with Mr. B. and also with two single women, so it would've been easy/fine for us at a four-top.

When we travel alone (seems to be less and less frequently), we prefer a two-top and each other's company only. With another couple, we rarely add anybody else to the mix, so we're just four. On this cruise, we added another couple plus another single some nights.

I can see how it is sometimes not easy to figure out the best way to do it, at the beginning, nor to change it after it's become a routine.

Wiener schnitzel would've added absolutely nothing to my enjoyment of the cruise!

• 2 months later...

We are taking our second Uniworld cruise on November 9 leaving from Budapest, ending in Amsterdam on the River Duchess. I think it is called “European Jewels.” We did the first part of this tour last year, also in November, from Budapest to Vienna to Passau, but on the Maria Theresa.

If you are visiting Vienna with Uniworld on any cruise, do NOT miss the special chamber music concert they have just for Uniworld travelers in an old Vienna building on one evening. It was the highlight of our trip. The only fly in the ointment was an extremely rude passenger, an American woman married to an Italian, who talked to her husband throughout the concert forcing some of us near her to stand up in the back of the hall so we could hear the musicians uninterrupted.

There were no seating “assignments” for meals and most passengers changed tables and dining companions almost every meal. Towards the end of our cruise, we had become friendly with two other couples, and then had dinner with them most evenings, but chatted with others breakfast and lunch.

If you should find dining companions unpleasant, there is absolutely no reason not to change tables and companions the very next meal.

As for the weather on the Danube in November, we really lucked out last year. Every single day except for one was bright and sunny, and cool, but not cold. However, our friends had taken this tour the year before, and they had opposite weather, cold and rainey the entire cruise. This year, we are packing for both eventualities. An absolute must are very good walking shoes as there may be lots of cobblestones.

As for the different excursions, last year, in addition to the bicycle tours, there were usually 3 levels of walking tours. As I have mobility issues, myself, we always chose the least vigorous walk, and never felt we had missed anything. and on some stops there are motorcoach tours requiring almost no walking. Before making your choice, as someone else suggested, ask the tour director on your boat.