French strikes - dock workers and train workers

UDSpud

French unions including Rail and dock workers, are unhappy with planned national government legislation and have started and are planning strike actions. I do not know if this will affect cruise port activities.

It has all ready had a major effect on train schedules and activities. So far I have not read anything regarding public inter and intra city buses.

Private and ship sponsored shore excursions, at a minimum, may be affected by heavy road traffic. Some shore excursions may involve union workers or workers who may not strike but support those who do.

Our cruise first stops in France May 24th for the first of 6 stops in France.

Best advice - Use internet to keep track on a macro-scale and check with your French private tour operators by email and reading their websites.

Dear UPSpud

For those of us who live closer to France, these can be frequent occurrences, they tend to be short lived and somewhat spontaneous, so you are 7 or so weeks away from landing in La Belle France, I wouldn't get too hung up about it. Now if it were but a week away, then by all means, start taking a night time whiskey ;)

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. The French often have these disruptive strikes. We owned a condo in Paris for three years, and became very familiar with manifestations, as the French call strikes. We were always forewarned, and usually planned accordingly. If you are on a cruise to France during one of these, you will not be docked in Paris anyway. What will matter is exactly what won't be functioning. Tour operators will know what is possible. If touring on your own, make certain you have the facts. For example, if trains or taxis knock off before you need them, you may be stranded.

Mary

Read this and draw your own conclusions:

From the Cruise Critic News section -

An article dated 4/5/2018 titled "Rail, air strikes in France could affect cruisers heading to Europe".

We arrived in Nice on the day of a one day rail and bus strike. Getting out of the airport was crazy. And traffic was busy, busy, busy. The driver said much worse than normal. We used Uber--FYI the pick up area is the kiss and park--which is the upstairs where it is usually a kiss and drop or kiss and pick up. AND price was not set.

We are flying into Nice in November and just booked the transfer with Oceania--decided not to deal with any problems as we would have taken the train into the city and then change to Monte Carlo and a cab from the train station. So we hope we are set--unless its drivers would be on strike too!

Forgive me Patricia F, but who do you "kiss"???

I will never trust the French railways after our experience with them. At the time there were no strikes going on. .............. We sailed to Sete, France and took the train (GTV) to Carcassonne where we were met by a friend and driven to his home. After an enjoyable visit, he drove us back to the railway station and although we said it was not necessary he stayed with us on the platform while we waited for the train. Thank goodness he did wait. A sign came up to the effect that the train was 40 minutes late. The train ride was 40 minutes We did not have 80 minutes to get back to the Ship before she sailed. Our friend had to break the speed limit to get us to Sete and the ship in time. Never again. J

The strikes aren't happening every day. Two consecutive out of every five.

There's a timetable here.

Air France is also striking in sympathy, using a different methodology - possibly random, knowing the French.

I'm arriving at CDG this Saturday, but it's a strike day and my hotel is in the middle of town. With trains not running, any suggestions as to my best option?

I'm arriving at CDG this Saturday, but it's a strike day and my hotel is in the middle of town. With trains not running, any suggestions as to my best option?

There are taxis (expensive). There are shuttle services (less expensive but usually not private). There is the Roissybus (least expensive) that delivers you to the center of the city from which you can proceed to your hotel by Metro or taxi or shoe-leather express.

Info on all of the above can be found via a quick web search: "ground transportation CDG to Paris."