How to get from Florence to Civitavecchia, with luggage.

jebbs

Can anyone offer first hand experience on traveling from Florence to Port of Civitavecchia on a Friday? Looking to explore any options, train, car service, rental car, etc. Please advise me of your experiences.....thanks.

Did it in November, but not sure it was a Friday. I took a train from Florence, changing in Rome. Reserved first class seat bought 3 or 4 months in advance. They don't post what track number until shortly before boarding. In Civitavecchia you have to go down a set of stairs and under the track and up another stairs. Very few if any taxi's. My B&B was in walking distance, and made arrangements for transfer bus to port the next day. Port is not in walking distance

Are you trying to board a ship the same day? That might not be possible.

Yes, my thought was out of Florence by 9:30, then on ship by 3 pm. Had heard the train station at Civitavecchia took some strength in managing luggage. Was wondering if we should take train to Rome and then car service to Port... as I don’t speak Italian, I was wondering if I understood that it’s suggested to go Florence to Rome and then Rome to Port...

The fastest option by train is probably to take the Frecciarossa (fast train) from Florence to Rome Termini, then another fast train (Frecciabianca) from Rome to Civitavecchia. The first train departs Florence at 10:08, and you end up arriving at Civi station at 12:44.

The advantages of this combination (aside from the fast travel time) is that you don't have to drag your bags to the far platform in Rome to catch the regional train to Civitavecchia.

However, at Civi you are still faced with the likelihood of having to cross under the tracks via walking down one flight of stairs, then back up a second one.

If your luggage is manageable and you are relatively fit, this isn't terrible. From here, you can take a local bus (2 euro per person) to the main port gate/staging area, where you get off, then take another FREE port shuttle directly to your ship.

Well,thanks cruise mom!

Those times are perfect. I’ll mark my calendar 90 days out to purchase tickets.

How secure is my luggage on fast trains? Should I buy an extra seat for my luggage??? That way, I know I’ll have it at the end of the ride.

Thanks again...

You can also do this trip via Pisa instead of going through Rome Termini.

There are not as many daily options and the trip may be slightly longer. We have done this route going the opposite direction. We find it easier going through Pisa. Less crowded.

Well,thanks cruise mom!

Those times are perfect. I’ll mark my calendar 90 days out to purchase tickets.

How secure is my luggage on fast trains? Should I buy an extra seat for my luggage??? That way, I know I’ll have it at the end of the ride.

Thanks again...

There are luggage storage areas at the end of the carriage (also sometimes there is one in the middle). You can also often fit a suitcase in between rows of seats that are back to back, with some space between them. Smaller, carry-on type bags can go above the seat.

On the express trains there are fewer stops and a higher bar (ticket fare) to folks getting on just to steal bags. Not to say it doesn't happen. I generally try to book a seat within visual range of the luggage area. And/or at stops I may go and stand near it.

Of course, another advantage of the fast trains is the assigned seating; on regional trains there are no assigned seats and they can get crowded.