Myvatn Nature Baths Excursion

zoe sproodle

I did this one with cunard a few years back. One of the best days I’ve had on a cruise. 100% go for it. Without spoiling it, the drive up to the baths was stunning, and the baths themselves felt as if they’d be far less commercial than the one near reykjavik. The views from the baths were stunning. I vowed right away that I’d need to return one day. Enjoy it if you do it. [emoji3][emoji269][emoji291][emoji369][emoji371]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that, etruriaguy. One more question if I may, I have read that you are required to shower without swimwear before entering the baths, is this the case? We will have my 80 year old mother in law with us and feel she may be a little uncomfortable with this, even in separate shower rooms.

I thought this might be asked ... in Iceland it is law to shower before entering any swimming pool / hot spring baths etc - it seems they don't use the same level of chemicals as in the UK so they require eveyone to wash thoroughly before entering the water - this includes the places covered by swimming clothing so means these clothes must be removed whilst showering. Very few places have private changing cubicles, and open showers are the norm. Yes the changing rooms are single sex, and yes there is not the same level of privacy you'd expect at swimming pools in the UK - although many gyms with pools do not offer private cubicles either. See link http://icelandweatherreport.com/the-dreaded-requirement-of-showering-naked/

I've also attached a link to the web site for the pools (I guess it's the right place, but check for yourself to be sure) ... look at the lagoon page for pictures of changing room and showers

https://www.myvatnnaturebaths.is/en/ I've been to Iceland once, didn't go into the pools then but would do so next time. Note the Blue Lagoon (other side of the country) does offer private showers, it seems mostly in response to tourists from the UK and USA!

The Blue Lagoon is more prudish because of Americans and has some private, some open showers. At Myvatn the locals will not wear a costume either to shower or to enter the bath; that is normal practice in Iceland and all over Scandanavia where costumes are forbidden in many saunas, nature baths, spas etc as unhygienic.

I wore the bottom half of a costume in the Blue Lagoon but nothing at Myvatn. They are a lot more sensible about bathing than we are.

Many thanks for your comments and advice. I've done a bit of digging and found some reviews, it seems almost all of them say the place is wonderful and one mentioned that there are a couple of 'private' showers if you're prepared to wait for one, so that should allay any concerns.....