Car Rental Safe?

llarsen

Since we can't seem to find a day sail or snorkel trip on a Sunday, has anyone rented a car in Antigua? Is it safe to drive there? Will they deliver to the cruise dock?

Thanks!

Remember they drive on the other side of the road. If you are from the USA.

Hertz, Avis, Dollar will all pick up and return to cruise dock free. Min. rental for a small car seems to be $45-50 + mandatory $20 licence. CDW insurance is also available - around $10-12. Phone their 800 #'s to book.

Although you'll get a map with the rental, it would be helpful to download a road map from the web to familiarize yourself with your route to your places of interest. Just drive carefully, and concentrate, and you should be okay driving on the LHS.

Have fun.

Marg

We had rental car on 11/26 Serenade sailing.... rented in advance from Hertz. Had a Suzuki Grand Vitara and yes they did deliver to the pier area. Actually a hotel about a half a block in.... very convenient.

Not sure what you mean by safe? Ever drive in Houston or any other big city ? This was much better. The roads are crowded in town (therefore you dont go very fast) but once out on the road it was not bad......roads are in slight disrepair and a little bumpy and narrow but we had a blast !!!! Went over to Long Bay first....beautiful beach and snorkled then down to Nelson Dockyard (did not stop) and then onto Fig Tree Drive (gorgeous canopied small road) over to West coast and along that back up towards Jolly Harbor and then to town.... still had about an hour to shop at dock.

We loved Antigua and hope to go back and spend a week. People everywhere were very friendly and glad to help out with directions etc...

llarsen HELLO THERE Jan54 here from Tahitian Princess 04 cruise. Going on the T.P. again in August and trying to decide on shore excursion Bruno ???? Stephane???? Remember the dilemma there??? I have got my Dramamine on the list to pack!!!!!Looks like you have had a few cruises since then! Only have found one other couple going with us so far. Going to Moorea for a few pre-cruise days this time. Jan

Thanks everyone for the car info.

I should of explained what I meant by "safe". We've driven on the left hand side many times in St. John and some of the other islands without a problem. On the other hand, we've been to some islands where there doesn't seem to be any laws in place and cutting other drivers off seems to be the rules of the road.

We finally found a daysail that will take us for some snorkeling, but it's very expensive so maybe we'll just rent a car and check out the beaches.

Thanks again!

llarsen HELLO THERE Jan54 here from Tahitian Princess 04 cruise. Going on the T.P. again in August and trying to decide on shore excursion Bruno ???? Stephane???? Remember the dilemma there??? I have got my Dramamine on the list to pack!!!!!Looks like you have had a few cruises since then! Only have found one other couple going with us so far. Going to Moorea for a few pre-cruise days this time. Jan

Jan look for my reply under new thread Jan54

Linda

llarsen: Oh, you must mean Jamaica driving !!!!!! :D

Like I posted - we like to rent cars and go where we want pretty much everywhere we go - but Jamaica - crazy mon !

You will enjoy driving around Antigua - we also rented on St. Martin and had fun too but really like Antigua and the people were super nice. Do not hesitate to stop and ask if you need to.... Have a great trip.

Archived