Escape - Texting

Hello All!

I am cruising on Escape this Sunday have AT&T for my provider. I really just need my cell phone to text in case an emergency pops up at work (fingers crossed I never hear from them!). I really don't want to buy the internet package if I don't have to because I want to "get away from it all" this vacation as much as possible.

Escape is part of the AT&T cruise packages they offer. Do I really need to purchase the NCL Wi-fi or AT&T package if I am just checking for an emergency text? I don't plan on even calling if there is some kind of emergency, just responding back with a text. I just want to make sure I would get the text in the first place.

Thank you All!

AT&T also offers "pay per use" if you don't want to enroll in packages...... I would call your carrier to confirm what exactly happens if, for example, your phone rings but you don't answer and it goes to voicemail...... some carriers charge you for that voicemail.

SMS is 50 cents to send or receive

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/ppu-calling-messaging-rates.html

If you and your sender have iPhones, the "Social Media" package will cover iMessages, which are the alternative when sending from iPhone to iPhone. Otherwise, if all you can expect is SMS (typical texts) the Social Media package won't cut it.

Personally, if it's "work critical" (been there, friend) I would just make sure that any message sent could get through, regardless of cost.

Better to spend a few dollars in connection charges than to be fired for being unavailable.

Escape ... sailing the NYC-Bermuda route soon, with AT&T Wireless as home carrier ?

Whether you are using an iPhone or Android, important to turn OFF data roaming (and, only use (ship's paid/"Free At Sea") WiFi for data) and disable any background/cloud backup & auto-update. Firmware update image files can easily top 1GB or more, costing an arm and small fortune. Assumed you are familiar with the drills, once that's done - you stayed connected for incoming VOICE and SMS or texting only, and, you can filter & screen inbound calls to allow some specific callers & phone #'s to ring thru, everyone else get to leave a Voicemail. SMS inbound are a little more difficult but at 25 cents or 50 cents per message, it's unlikely to cost a small fortune, that leave you accessible in case of emergencies.

If your employer allows claims for business expenses, this should not be any different, i.e. like claiming mileage for driving per IRS, should this spill over to calls as those can be long - speak to A&T's global support to find out the charges per minute with and without the international plan, and whether cruise ship coverage onboard is included or not ... carriers are constantly revised their plans and what isn't in the bundle.

With this approach, odds are good that most SMS or text will get thru quickly with minimal delay, assuming satellite coverage is adequate and not obscured for whatever reasons.

With 2.5 days in Dockyard, Bermuda - once you are away from the ship ... you will need to have coverage via AT&T roaming partner(s) ... we had excellent 4G/HSPA+ coverage at Dockyard, Hamilton & St. George's via "DigiCel" (good with T-Mobile & Project Fi/Sprint ... not 100% sure about AT&T) - even while on the island's ferry services.

Dockyard has a paid WiFi Day Pass for 1 day or more, it was about $5 a day and $15 for 3 days - signal is adequate if you are on the lower decks facing the terminal building, not good on the harbor side over water - since WiFi signal has a limited range. Cellular signal from Digicel, however, is great and reached the top decks of the Breakaway, I sat there near the pool in the shade, just outside the buffet - signal was solid, to get things done.

From OP's initial post, I see no reasons to purchase ship's WiFi plan, $125 for 250 minutes isn't needed - and will pay for a lot of text messages via the carrier's roaming signal - inbound always cheaper but even at 50 cents to a dollar each, in case of "emergencies"

Follow my SIGNature below for the 2016 Breakway review, it has details about signals & how it worked in Bermuda. One of my BIL was with us then, and they enrolled in the AT&T Int'l Pass program then (whatever it was called) for $10 a day, only if they used it - worked out fine once docked there ... as he wished to remain in touch with the management & operations of their rental properties. Just confirm that you have a signal inside the stateroom (balconies are usually fine ... not so much with the Inside cabins.)