Airfare through RCL or Independent?

learnedm

Looking for some advice please! We are booked on RCL Radiance northbound 6/10/06 from Vancouver to Seward. As of now, we've booked airfare through RCL also since fare is good. But after reading these boards and researching options, we're wondering if we should go independent to take advantage of Kenai Fjords tour in Seward. So our questions are:

1. Anyone have experience with RCL air? ie departure time from Seward and flight times out of Anchorage? (yes, we realize we don't have control over our own times, but looking for what may be "normal".)

2. If we take the 6-hr Kenai tour, it is over at 5:30 pm. Is this sufficient time to make a 6:30 bus ride to Anchorage? Do any of the tours arrange transportation also from the cruise site to Anchorage?

3. How reliable is the bus transportation? ie does it consistently leave and arrive at scheduled times? Where does transportation drop you off in Anchorage?

4. What is the earliest flight we could make if we took the 6:30 bus to Anchorage?

5. What can we do with our luggage all day if we do independent?

I know, lots of questions! Thanks in advance!

It is not a scheduled bus out of Seward, all my references are for the Alaska RR. And no, these do not hook up great with flights unless you book something about 1am, which is very possible. The trains do run late and you need to allow at least 30 mins to get your bags and a cab to the airport.

As for the cruise booked air, I've seen plenty of people on the evening flights. If you want more control over the flight time, pay for the deviation. But also look at booking direct on your own. I would also suggest you allow more time in interior Alaska if at all possible. There is plenty to see and do.

You will have no opportunity for anything in Seward if you remain with the cruise contracted air, since you have to take their transportation to the airport and all leave by mid morning. Seward is 125 miles from Anchorage.

I would suggest booking your own air.

http://www.itasoftware.com/

Gives you hundreds of flights to choose from.

We are on the Radiance Southbound July 1.

Rcl wants $700.00 Air fares are changing it seems twice a day.

Example. Bos/Anc Yvr/Bos. I seen as low as 418 high of 818.

I booked at 418. Great flight times.

Good luck

Have a Great Cruise

Hey there! We are booked Southbound on June 3, 2006. We booked ours through RCI but really feel it's too high. Our TA had stressed the importance of booking through RCI in case we ran into trouble with flight delays and she also stressed the fact that transfers would be included. Don't know if I messed up or not. It's my first time to book a cruise. Hope you have a great time!

Myrtle

Hey there! We are booked Southbound on June 3, 2006. We booked ours through RCI but really feel it's too high. Our TA had stressed the importance of booking through RCI in case we ran into trouble with flight delays and she also stressed the fact that transfers would be included. Don't know if I messed up or not. It's my first time to book a cruise. Hope you have a great time!

Myrtle

It's my understanding that you can drop the cruiseline's air up until final payment is made, so I'd shop around if I were you. As most everyone will recommend, it's best to arrive at least one day before your ship sails.

I would suggest booking your own air.

http://www.itasoftware.com/

Gives you hundreds of flights to choose from.

We are on the Radiance Southbound July 1.

Rcl wants $700.00 Air fares are changing it seems twice a day.

Example. Bos/Anc Yvr/Bos. I seen as low as 418 high of 818.

I booked at 418. Great flight times.

Good luck

Have a Great Cruise

Thanks for the website info. I checked and prices are comparable to RCI. Definitely plan to keep checking, though, because I know from personal experience that fares change several times a day! I too feel the cruise air is high, but I can't seem to find a fare that's better yet, considering transfer costs.

We are flying into Vancouver the day before, but hubby has limited vacation time, so we can't do a land tour. My desire was to wait until we could actually spend 2 weeks, but this is something he really wants to do now. His mom passed away in June without ever fulfilling her dream of an Alaskan cruise, so we'll do the cruise now and perhaps a longer land tour in a few years, God willing!

If we want to do the Kenai tour, it looks like we'll have to take a late flight out of Anchorage. For anyone with experience using RCI custom air, what is the normal fee per person, and how specific would we be able to get? Only important factor is time--if we could pick approximate arrival time into Vancouver and departure time out of Anchorage, then the fee might be worth it.

Nancy,

Thanks for the tip. I tend to agree with you. I think I've probably booked things at prices that are way too high. Folks on this board have been great and have advised me to shop around. My TA saved me a bit of money after I told her about some of the info. I've learned here. I think we could book hotels on our own and save quite a bit as well. Believe I'll try it.

Myrtle

Thanks for the website info.

We are flying into Vancouver the day before. For anyone with experience using RCI custom air, what is the normal fee per person, and how specific would we be able to get? QUOTE]

Forgive the partial quote!

We are doing the inside passage mid Sept., rnd trip Atl-Vancouver-Atl. I know the fee for custom air is $50pp. What kind of choices do you have, esp since we won't know our RCL schedule til just before final payment..I think. Are the regular schedules/RCL red-eyes or big layovers so you have 11-12 hr days? Right now RCL is cheaper not even considering the transfers being included and I don't think air fares will be going down but just in case...:)

TIA

Nancy,

Thanks for the tip. I tend to agree with you. I think I've probably booked things at prices that are way too high. Folks on this board have been great and have advised me to shop around. My TA saved me a bit of money after I told her about some of the info. I've learned here. I think we could book hotels on our own and save quite a bit as well. Believe I'll try it.

Myrtle

Myrtle, you may want to find a very detailed article by Conde Nast, unfortunately over a year ago. It clears up plenty of myths about cruise booked air, meaning, you have no more of a guarantee of making your ship, since the cruiselines are only booking agents. The best way is still to arrive the day before. Has your TA been to Alaska?? And if so, independent? You may be getting steered toward her ease of booking? You still have plenty of time to change if desired. Keep looking and comparing.

Thanks for the website info. I checked and prices are comparable to RCI. Definitely plan to keep checking, though, because I know from personal experience that fares change several times a day! I too feel the cruise air is high, but I can't seem to find a fare that's better yet, considering transfer costs.

We are flying into Vancouver the day before, but hubby has limited vacation time, so we can't do a land tour. My desire was to wait until we could actually spend 2 weeks, but this is something he really wants to do now. His mom passed away in June without ever fulfilling her dream of an Alaskan cruise, so we'll do the cruise now and perhaps a longer land tour in a few years, God willing!

If we want to do the Kenai tour, it looks like we'll have to take a late flight out of Anchorage. For anyone with experience using RCI custom air, what is the normal fee per person, and how specific would we be able to get? Only important factor is time--if we could pick approximate arrival time into Vancouver and departure time out of Anchorage, then the fee might be worth it.

Since you will not be able to take the included transfer IF you plan on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, I would suggest you book independent. The Alaska RR is one of the cheapest options for transfers independent, Seward to Anchorage. You will need a 1am flight in my opinion. With potential delays of the RR coming into Anchorage and unloading luggage, at the earliest, you can't expect to get to the airport before 11pm and most likely later. Anchorage airport is extremely busy late night and can run into significant waits.

We are booking our own air from the midwest to Seattle and panicked last week when we noticed the flights we had been watching were filling fast and United had changed to a Boeing 777! As of this AM one of the legs is already closed. Hard to believe since we aren't cruising until the first week of June.

Just a warning to not wait too long. We had hoped prices would drop but obviously that wasn't going to happen for us.

Archived