Clarification Please

familyplanner

Okay, I have been researching the boards including the ports of call to try and figure out what is considered a fair or decent tip for private shore excursions. On our last cruise I didn't know that we were supposed to tip. This time I have a large group of 18 and they are looking to me to give them guidelines. Is there a rule of thumb? I want to be fair with the guides, but many of us are on a budget as well. Thanks for all of your help. I have learned so much from these boards and my family all thinks I have missed my calling in life, should have been a travel agent.:p

Really depends on the efforts the guides (and busdrivers) go through to make your experience enjoyable.

If it's my wife and I on the excursion ( with a bus load or boat load of others), I usually give the bus driver a buck or two. Depending on what service the tour guide has provided, I'll give them anywhere from 2 to 5 bucks. Now thats for both my wife and I so a total of somewhere between $3 and $7.

Also understand that it's not a "Have to do type of thing". Also understand that you should research the culture where you are traveling to. Some cultures (Japan for one) take it as an insult if you try to offer a gratuity. Some cultures think of it as a bribe, some take it to mean they didn't do a good enough job, and others take it as an appreciation for a "Job well done".

Hope this helps.

In Belize, we tipped $5/pp-there was 2 of us, so $10. The guide was really good though, and we felt bad-during the tour he mentioned that the average hourly wage is $1.50 in Belize City. We certainly hoped that he made more than that-he looked very presentable, but wanted to help out as we could.

He looked a little confused when we handed him $10-which confused me! I didn't know if we were over or under tipping, but I saw everyone else handing over $5's and $1's, so didn't feel too bad.

I agree with the above-depends on the service, and how good it was. $2-$5/pp sounds good to me!

In Belize, we tipped $5/pp-there was 2 of us, so $10. The guide was really good though, and we felt bad-during the tour he mentioned that the average hourly wage is $1.50 in Belize City. We certainly hoped that he made more than that-he looked very presentable, but wanted to help out as we could.

He looked a little confused when we handed him $10-which confused me! I didn't know if we were over or under tipping, but I saw everyone else handing over $5's and $1's, so didn't feel too bad.

I agree with the above-depends on the service, and how good it was. $2-$5/pp sounds good to me!

I always try to consider the exchange rate when we tip. In Belize it perobally is pretty good. Once we were in Grenada a $1 US was $5 in their money. The reason I remember this incident so well is that my hubby gave our guide $20(two tens)when he meant to give him $2. :eek: Well, that was a weeks salary for this guide. His name was Gregory and he was very good, but not that good :rolleyes: . There are lots of things to determine the right amount are they informative? Do they explain what you are seeing/doing? Anyway, have a wonderful cruise and if anyone sees Gregory, tell him we said "Hi'

Luv's Crusin'

Archived