We are planning on cruising with Royal Carribean on the Oasis, Western Mediterranean

We are planning on cruising with RC June.2019 doing Western Mediterranean, starting out of Rome (Civitavecchia.) We have gone on over 25 cruises but never to Europe.

Would appreciate info from fellow cruisers who have been in Rome.

We are thinking of either flying to Italy 3 days in advance to see more of Italy or seeing more of Italy after the cruise ends. What will work out better, consider luggage issue. I was told Rome is about 1 hour away from the port where the Oasis is sitting in, Also, is it better to book tours with Royal Caribbean or go with an Independent at the port. I have been told that RC will make sure we get back to the ship before it sails

We are both in our 70,s & get around well, just want to feelsafe in another country.

Appreciate your comments!

You'll want to do lots of homework on the Italy ports board: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

There are also boards for France and Spanish ports - not sure where you are heading to.

We used the train to get from Rome to the port - pretty easy and cheap, but dragging bags was required. We used a car service (Romeinlimo) to get from the airport to Rome and after the cruise to get from the port to airport - great service!

Three days in Rome pre cruise is about right IMHO. Most European ports are not close to downtown, so a bus or taxi is likely needed if you don't book a tour.

Good luck with your planning! :)

I'm assuming you are flying to Rome, so you'll need transportation into the city. On the roll call for your cruise, you may be able to link with other cruisers coming into the city about the time you are--we were able to do so easily. Sharing a cab (van type) would be easy. If not, there are city buses that take about an hour and a half to get into the city. The train is cheaper, but you have to worry about your suitcases on the train. If you take the bus, you exit the terminal, wheel your bags to the bus, they put them underneath and get them out for you once you are in town--for us, it was easier than worrying with bags on the train. Check Trip Advisor for more information on how to get from the airport to the city and from the city to the port--neither is close to the city.

If I were you, I'd enjoy Rome for several days before the cruise. The weather will get hotter every week, and I'd want to be there earlier rather than later. You'll be tired after the flight, so maybe plan on 4 nights in Rome. There's a lot to see and enjoy, and the first day may not be a very active one for you.

I'd buy a guide book for Rome--we like Frommers and Rick Steves--for guidance in how to make the most of your time, inside tips for buying tickets to the forum, which buses to take, how to navigate the subway, hotels, etc.