Cruising with children without notarized letter from ex spouse

JBCruiser2118

We have taken our granddaughters on several cruises.

We have been asked for the letter three times....once by Royal...once by Disney...and once by Customs.

On one of the cruises our daughter (their mother) was with us but they still required the letter signed by her husband.

It may be a rare occurrence but it does happen. No way would I leave the country without all of the proper documentation.

Who would want to risk being denied to board???

Precisely! I’m quite astonished at those that swear you never need it, just because they were never asked. But as I said previously, my daughter ALWAYS obtains the proper documentation from her ex, even though it is a HUGE pain in the ass, because she never wants to be that one random person they choose to ask for it, then be denied boarding. Nope. Go prepared.

Hello,

I have read different post regarding this topic...and get more nervous about cruising as the days past and I keep planning!!!

I want to take a cruise with my two children this summer on Carnival Dream to the Bahamas. I have primary custody, however we are listed on the final decree as joint managing conservators; AND, he is NOT allowed to have possession of access to the children without completing various requirements set forth by the judge-which he refuses to. With that said, he has not been in my children's lives for nearly 3 years now. We have ZERO communication with him. I am also listed to have exclusive rights to everything; however, travel is not one of them- actually travel isn't mentioned in my final order at all. Long story short, I can not get them passports- without his signature (and I do not want to establish contact with him).

I have read that there is a CHANCE that Carnival or the Port Authority's office could request (because we are not traveling with their dad) that I provide a notarized letter from him stating it is fine that I am traveling out of the country with them. Does anyone know this to be true? I will say, my kiddos and I have the same last name...and I plan on traveling with my Final Decree- it just worries me because it does say we are JMC's- but me having primary residence and exclusive rights.

Also, I have contacted Carnival (via phone) and they said I would not need any letter from Dad.

I appreciate any insight you guys might have, or if anyone has cruised with a similar circumstance.

Thank you!!

I have cruised many times with my stepson and never had a letter from his "real" mom. We have gone a few times without his father...so not parent. They never asked a single question. Even when his father, myself and he went on cruises, we never had to show a thing. His mother had joint custody, but never exercised it. Been cruising for 10 years with him along and never an issue.

so to wrap up this thread (doubt it will wrap up)

• most people have never been asked
  • some have been asked

YMMV

recommendation from Carnival and CBP is to have the letter.

Use your judgment - knowledge is power. do what you feel is best