Half Moon Cay Cabanas

niciediva007

We loved #7! I'm kind of partial because we got engaged there on Thanksgiving last year. I have mobility issues and struggle with walking in the sand, and it was not a long walk to the bathroom but I struggled because it's all sand. It wasn't crowded at all in front of our cabana and the ship was full that week. We couldn't hear the music all that well, but it was a short walk if we wanted to. I had FTTF and went straight to the excursions desk when we boarded the ship and a few were already taken but I still had a decent amount. A lady in line behind me said she wanted a specific cabana and would be very upset if she didn't get it. I peeked at the map behind the counter while we were waiting and could see what was available, so I asked her which one she was inquiring about and she refused to tell me for fear I would take it. I literally laughed out loud. She did get her wish and it was cabana number 9. YouTube has a good video of a cabana walking tour.

For anyone who has ever reserved one what are the pros and cons of the locations? I was thinking to reserve #7, 8, 6, 9, or 10 in order of preference. We want to hear music from the pirate ship but don’t want to be fully engulfed in crowds. We want bathroom facilities fairly close and a bar not too far away.

Based on your criteria I'd say #8 would be about right. I'm pretty sure it's close enough to the Pirate Ship Bar to hear the music, but far enough away that you won't be overrun with people. There are restrooms further out (between #9 and #10, I think) that would be a fairly close walk. The other ones you mentioned wouldn't be bad either. At all costs avoid #1-6 (they'd be crowded) and anything above #12 (too far from the bars).

Since they are first-come-first-serve at Shore Excursions on board, if you haven't gotten FTTF and it's available, I'd go ahead and grab it. Choosing your cabana at HMC is one of the best rationalizations of FTTF there is. On one of my cruises, if I'd gotten to Shore Excursions only 30 seconds after I did, I'd have lost out on all the good cabana spots. :o

Note that the tram circulates along a road that runs behind the cabanas, and you may find it to be an easier walk to the barbecue pavilions if you walk along the path...same is also true of the restrooms in either direction. If a tram comes up on you and they have room, they will often offer to pick you up.

Have fun! There's a REASON why the HMC cabanas are among Carnival's most popular excursions at any port. :)

We loved #7! I'm kind of partial because we got engaged there on Thanksgiving last year. I have mobility issues and struggle with walking in the sand, and it was not a long walk to the bathroom but I struggled because it's all sand. It wasn't crowded at all in front of our cabana and the ship was full that week. We couldn't hear the music all that well, but it was a short walk if we wanted to. I had FTTF and went straight to the excursions desk when we boarded the ship and a few were already taken but I still had a decent amount. A lady in line behind me said she wanted a specific cabana and would be very upset if she didn't get it. I peeked at the map behind the counter while we were waiting and could see what was available, so I asked her which one she was inquiring about and she refused to tell me for fear I would take it. I literally laughed out loud. She did get her wish and it was cabana number 9. YouTube has a good video of a cabana walking tour.

I would have laughed out loud too. Wonder if she was just a control freak, or had some issue she needed to navigate around. I can be pretty anal in my planning, but at first glance this sounds a tad neurotic.

I read somewhere that some of the cabanas that border the deluxe cabanas have trouble with their neighbors thinking they own the beach and grabbing up all the chairs and whatnot. Anyone experience anything like this during their stay? It's one of the reasons I was thinking #7 instead of 8.

I read somewhere that some of the cabanas that border the deluxe cabanas have trouble with their neighbors thinking they own the beach and grabbing up all the chairs and whatnot. Anyone experience anything like this during their stay? It's one of the reasons I was thinking #7 instead of 8.

There should be enough chairs available for everyone without hogging any. If you have a problem acquiring some beach chairs, seek out one of the workers for assistance.