Any Cigar Tours of Excursions Recomended

dedosr

Will be in Havana for 1 day. After the required educational tour, we would like to shop for cigars, and go on a Cigar Factory Tour.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Just there Monday our tour guide told us Cigar Factory Tours they charge and you can not buy cigars there . Bought at cigar store

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/havanas-cigar-factories-16209

read the above article...full of great information. the modern partagas factory has indeed moved. i have asked this same question myself just yesterday and have gotten zero responses. i am using this article as a guide when we go next week...will be there may 10 and 11. we have decided we will just take a cab. i have read elsewhere from a nytimes article that you need to buy tickets ahead of time at a hotel. not sure if this is true or not. when is your trip? i will report back any info i find out if you would like.

read the above article...full of great information. the modern partagas factory has indeed moved. i have asked this same question myself just yesterday and have gotten zero responses. i am using this article as a guide when we go next week...will be there may 10 and 11. we have decided we will just take a cab. i have read elsewhere from a nytimes article that you need to buy tickets ahead of time at a hotel. not sure if this is true or not. when is your trip? i will report back any info i find out if you would like.

We where there last Monday Since we had a busy schedule had to pick and choose went to cigar factory in DR it was free

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/havana-cigar-shops-16208

this is another article i will be using, dedosr, in order to figure out where to focus our cigar buying. will be there next week taking a cab or walking to one of them if it is close enough to the dock. i will report back. and steve, i am not going to the dominican, but thanks for the tip. if a future cruise ever includes that as a port, i will keep it in mind.

First week of June .Thanks!!!

Looks like the 2 articles were written the end of 2011.

Please post what you found on your trip. Or anything else you discover about touring cigar factories and/or buying cigars.

We're going first of September and that's what my husband wants to do.

Looks like the 2 articles were written the end of 2011.

Please post what you found on your trip. Or anything else you discover about touring cigar factories and/or buying cigars.

We're going first of September and that's what my husband wants to do.

Buying Cigars what ever you want . I bought 40 cigars touring was a different story have to buy ticket

yes, i realize the articles were written in 2011, but the information is still pertinent. the list of cigars is still valid and one you should look at to decide what is what especially if you do not really know cigars and their ratings, etc. however, smoking a cigar is an individual taste thing and what one "aficionado" calls a 98, i might say is 88. lol. they have moved the main factory now and as i said, we will check in when we get back. we leave wednesday. hoping to find lots of info for you all.

yes, i realize the articles were written in 2011, but the information is still pertinent. the list of cigars is still valid and one you should look at to decide what is what especially if you do not really know cigars and their ratings, etc. however, smoking a cigar is an individual taste thing and what one "aficionado" calls a 98, i might say is 88. lol. they have moved the main factory now and as i said, we will check in when we get back. we leave wednesday. hoping to find lots of info for you all.

Have a great time we did. As you said what you like is not what others like just like food very subjective. Guy in front of me buying cigars when the told him they where 15.00 a stick he said that was outrageous and walked out. Watch the ladies that smoke in the streets that appear to me at least a 70 ring gauge and super dark maduro . Let me know how it went for you

Steve

I agree which cigars to buy is strickly personal taste.

It's really where to buy and a cigar factory tour that I'm hoping to get advance intel.

Will be watching for you report when you return. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you have returned and have any information to share?!

Hope you had a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

We took a tour from the Melia Cohiba - about 12 hours. We went to Pinar del Rio, Vinales and to a tobacco farm. I stayed at a Casa Particular and did not cruise there. Was there for a week. I am a photographer and I took a class with a couple others. We freely roamed the city, took a ferry, went to Fuslandia, hired a couple of old cars/cabs. Beware of pickpockets - one of our travel mates had her phone/wallet taken from the grocery across from the Melia Cohiba. Many people speak English. The hotels will change your money 87 CUC for $100 USD.

We took a tour from the Melia Cohiba - about 12 hours. We went to Pinar del Rio, Vinales and to a tobacco farm. I stayed at a Casa Particular and did not cruise there. Was there for a week. I am a photographer and I took a class with a couple others. We freely roamed the city, took a ferry, went to Fuslandia, hired a couple of old cars/cabs. Beware of pickpockets - one of our travel mates had her phone/wallet taken from the grocery across from the Melia Cohiba. Many people speak English. The hotels will change your money 87 CUC for $100 USD.

Thanks so much for sharing these helpful tips!

• 1 month later...

my gosh. forgot to check in. we never made it to the factory, but we did walk past the old partegas factory on our walking tour of old havana the first evening. we clearly ran out of time. i was able to find a legit cigar store recommended by cigar afficionado and got some great buys.

Skateycat, would you please share the name and address of the store you went to where you got your great cigar buys???

We followed these instructions.

Bought 100 cigars at a great price.

There is a La Casa del Habano in the Hotel Conde De Villanueva. The address is Calle Mercaderes 202.

Go down to ground level at the Cruise Terminal, out the door and turn left 50 feet to the pedestrian crosswalk. Cross the street and go straight west through Plaza de San Francisco to Amargura street. One block west on Amargura and right onto Calle Mercaderes. Hotel is ½ block north on the left.

Google maps says the Hotel is permanently closed but the website is still active and the Manager is responding to guest reviews on TripAdvisor. Even if the Hotel is closed the Casa del Habano may be open.

The next closest Casa is the old Partagás factory at Calle Industria No. 520. It is on the first street west of the Capital building and would be about a 20-30 minute walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never been to Cuba but from what I’ve read, buying cigars would be OK but touring a cigar factory would be a problem since the Cuban military or government has interests in these factories and that seems to be a no no per the US Government.

I believe the same goes for rum factories.

Again I can’t verify what I know so take it for what it’s worth

Sent from my iPhone using Forums