Laundry question?

MICHE99

Jim - I recall using RDF trying to find entrance to Tokyo Bay. We didn't get any sun/star sights for a week, due to overcast skies and no SatNav, so we were running DR's. Picked up a couple of shore stations on RDF and got an approximate position over 100 miles offshore.

Never saw Loran A, but did have Loran C, Omega and Decca (European equivalent to Loran). Even the first generation SatNav we had on Oriana only provided a fix about every 4 hours.

In 40 years at sea, it was an interesting journey watching the Bridge develop from the QM1 vintage to the latest fully integrated electronics. Best I experienced was the fast ferries we built on the West Coast - running around at 40+ kts and controlling the ship from a joystick on the seat armrest.

Do they still have those “guaranteed clear view” spinning windows?

The newer ships have wipers, but older tonnage still has the Kent Clearview Screens installed. My older ships had 1 on each side of the Bridge windows.

When they were operational, they actually did a better job than wipers. Biggest problem is the increasing difficulty in finding spare parts for the older models.

Ever had your bridge crew blinded completely by spray/rain? What is protocol for that condition? Send some lucky crewman out on deck to be on lookout?

When I served on the cadet training ship (basically boot camp), we had a cadet lookout on the Focsle from 20:00 to 08:00 every day at sea. If taking spray over the bow, you got very wet after 2 hrs. Believe they called it character building. When shipping green seas over the bow, we got relocated to the bridge wing. These days are more civilized and the lookout is stationed inside the bridge.

The restricted visibility protocols vary by shipping company, but a number of Cruise Lines operate a Bridge Command & Control Policy. This dictate the appropriate Bridge Manning for various conditions. I wrote the one for my last company, which was based on one developed by a cruise line. When visibility is impaired by rain, snow, fog, etc. the Bridge moves to condition "Red". As Captain, I had to be on the Bridge and had 1 rating looking out the windows and another steering, plus 2 officers sitting at radars ("X" band). One officer was Navigator, who conned the ship, while the other officer monitored the Navigator by confirming every action, verified any action taken had the desired affect, completed internal/external coms and scanned long range. I monitored a 3rd radar ( "S" band) if available, ensured all communications were closed loop and approved any actions taken by the Navigator.

Speed is also adjusted based on the visibility and ship is steered by hand, whistle sounded, W/T doors closed, etc.

Hope this gives you a basic idea how they operate when they can't see out the windows.