Waiver for daughter's friend?

beckzay

Have the 20 year old Parent's sign the waiver and have an additional waiver signed by you accepting full responsibility for that person. NCL will not allow them to purchase alcohol on the sign and sail card but will allow you to purchase it for them.

I had no problem with this on a recent sailing with one of my daughters friend that was 20 years old they would just not serve her hard alcohol.

Having her parents sign the waiver limited my liability for her, it but made me liable for her on the cruise "i think it was if she was unmanageable on the ship it would now become my problem".

It worked for me.

Was this a cruise originating in the US?

I'm not doubting you but this completely contradicts the policy that the adult guardian must be accompanying the young adult on the cruise.

I'm pretty open to looking at solutions but I can't get my head wrapped around this since you are not a legal guardian, you don't have health care proxy, you don't have medical power of attorney (at least you didn't mention it), etc

Did you get prior approval before boarding?

Was this a cruise originating in the US?

I'm not doubting you but this completely contradicts the policy that the adult guardian must be accompanying the young adult on the cruise.

I'm pretty open to looking at solutions but I can't get my head wrapped around this since you are not a legal guardian, you don't have health care proxy, you don't have medical power of attorney (at least you didn't mention it), etc

Did you get prior approval before boarding?

The Cruise sailed from Miami and was an Eastern Caribbean sailing. I did get a Medical POA before we left along with additional insurance from a 3rd party insurance company that her parents purchased and gave me approval for my Wife or myself to act on there behalf if I could not contact her Parents for any reason.

I also had a Lawyer create a legal document spelling out the conditions and was signed by my Daughters friend and her parents. "The cost for this was around $100.00 and was advised to me it would not really be necessary as the Friend was over 18 years old."

It wasn't really prior approval but I contacted NCL and they told me what I needed in paperwork prior to me arriving at the Terminal.

When we got to the Terminal I mentioned the situation and they did not need to see the documentation but told me to keep it with me in case the documentation was required.

Just as a side note my Wife and I had to be booked in separate cabins, my Wife with the friend and me with my Daughter. We just got additional keys for both cabins and they stayed in one cabin and my Wife and myself stayed in the other.

We went to Guest Services with our 19-year-old, who turned 20 during the cruise. We were on the Escape last December. He could not even buy a round of drinks for all of us (all beer at The District) because was only allowed beer and wine for himself. We are on the Sky in 1.5 weeks and we plan to sign the waiver again but are also bringing along a 21-year-old friend because of the waiver.

We had to go to Guest Services with everyone's ID and sign the forms. They took photocopies of our driver's license and our 19-year-old.

We went to Guest Services with our 19-year-old, who turned 20 during the cruise. We were on the Escape last December. He could not even buy a round of drinks for all of us (all beer at The District) because was only allowed beer and wine for himself. We are on the Sky in 1.5 weeks and we plan to sign the waiver again but are also bringing along a 21-year-old friend because of the waiver.

We had to go to Guest Services with everyone's ID and sign the forms. They took photocopies of our driver's license and our 19-year-old.

What impact does bringing a 21 year old have concerning the waiver?

The Cruise sailed from Miami and was an Eastern Caribbean sailing. I did get a Medical POA before we left along with additional insurance from a 3rd party insurance company that her parents purchased and gave me approval for my Wife or myself to act on there behalf if I could not contact her Parents for any reason.

I also had a Lawyer create a legal document spelling out the conditions and was signed by my Daughters friend and her parents. "The cost for this was around $100.00 and was advised to me it would not really be necessary as the Friend was over 18 years old."

It wasn't really prior approval but I contacted NCL and they told me what I needed in paperwork prior to me arriving at the Terminal.

When we got to the Terminal I mentioned the situation and they did not need to see the documentation but told me to keep it with me in case the documentation was required.

Just as a side note my Wife and I had to be booked in separate cabins, my Wife with the friend and me with my Daughter. We just got additional keys for both cabins and they stayed in one cabin and my Wife and myself stayed in the other.

So this sounds like you had somewhat of a Conditional Medical Power of Attorney but NCL accepted this as an acceptable document for being a legal guardian? That's pretty cheap for $100. Thanks

So this sounds like you had somewhat of a Conditional Medical Power of Attorney but NCL accepted this as an acceptable document for being a legal guardian? That's pretty cheap for $100. Thanks

The document was called Temporary Guardianship and you don't even need a lawyer for this because it is less then 6 months,but I paid a lawyer for this any ways.

I believe I talked to the legal department about this but I am not 100% sure. If I had to go through this again I am not so sure I would do it again, as it was not the cost it was all the phone calls I had to make.

These girls are 20. They know how to get a drink!If your daughter gets the waiver signed, they will figure out that daughter needs to go to the bar twice. Hand drink to her friend.

Not rocket science. These girls will figure out what works in 6 minutes.

and if caught, drink privileges can be revoked for all.

The document was called Temporary Guardianship and you don't even need a lawyer for this because it is less then 6 months,but I paid a lawyer for this any ways.

I believe I talked to the legal department about this but I am not 100% sure. If I had to go through this again I am not so sure I would do it again, as it was not the cost it was all the phone calls I had to make.

You were beyond wise to get this and I really question your attorney if he or she said it wasn't needed.

Had she, I believe it was a young lady, been unable to make medical decisions for herself, no US doctor would have allowed you to make them on her behalf without it. They would have only done what was necessary to stabilize her condition until they could have reached her next of kin to give consent for any medical procedure.

Was it truly necessary, probably not as it is unlikely that something would have happened and obviously nothing did, but it would be beyond priceless had it been needed.

To me, this is no different than getting a passport. Sure you don't need it, but boy is it useful when you do.

You were beyond wise to get this and I really question your attorney if he or she said it wasn't needed.

Had she, I believe it was a young lady, been unable to make medical decisions for herself, no US doctor would have allowed you to make them on her behalf without it. They would have only done what was necessary to stabilize her condition until they could have reached her next of kin to give consent for any medical procedure.

Was it truly necessary, probably not as it is unlikely that something would have happened and obviously nothing did, but it would be beyond priceless had it been needed.

To me, this is no different than getting a passport. Sure you don't need it, but boy is it useful when you do.

I always try to cross my T's and Dot my I's, and try to anticipate any blow back. It is cheaper to set everything upfront than pay for it later.

I'm stiff baffled that a form that was to be used for specific medical emergencies for a specific time period (the cruise) was accepted by NCL to get the alcohol waiver approved when specifically NCL states "A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted."...... and NCL mentions the exact form you provided them.

Why wouldn't you do it again? You don't have to make anymore calls or spend the $100 because you just need to duplicate exactly what you did....

However, the more I ask the more details and specific forms you're mentioning may help others try. I'm really appreciative of you getting in depth because I never would've thought it would work.....

What impact does bringing a 21 year old have concerning the waiver?

Sorry I didn't explain myself clearly. I am bringing along a 21-year-old friend this time instead of one under the age of 21 because they wouldn't be able to consume beer and wine without their parent onboard. Didn't want to invite the parents along either. And son didn't want to be the only one consuming.

Being 21, my son and his friend also are in their own cabin.

I have taken along temporary guardianship/medical power of attorney papers whenever we have taken one of our kid's friends along so that we could act on their behalf for medical conditions.

NCL spells it out very clearly what their policy is regarding the alcohol policy and those under the age of 21. I'm very surprised that the papers worked.

What's ironic is when we checked in for the Escape in December, my son's card didn't have the hole punched in it but I was honest and said something and they went and made a new one.