NCL Pearl Excursions

dinkydee718

Already posted this on the Alaska Port-of-Call board, but was hoping those who went on NCL cruise and did NCL excursions for most of these things could comment.

Have four children who, in August when we cruise, will be ages 7, 12, 14 and 15. Here is what I am thinking of booking. Have any of you done any of these excursions with kids and were you, and they, happy? If not, any suggestions?

Also, if anyone has Ketchikan suggestions that would be great too! Not into crab catching (or anything sea food related).

Juneau - Mendanhall Glacier and Whale watching excursion

Skagway - Gold panning and sled dogs at Klondike Gold Fields, followed by an experience going into their 40 degree below chamber.

Ketchikan - still no idea!

Victoria, BC - Wanted to do Empress tea but just realized we don't arrive in port in time, so need suggestions for here too!

Thanks for any info/advice you can offer!

Edited by dinkydee718
Update BC

If this were me, I would skip High Tea at Empress. Near The Empress is The World of Miniature Museum-- very interesting.

In Ketchikan might want to look at the Lumberjack Show.

Since you will be traveling through Glacier Bay, I am not sure I would spend the money on Mendanhall Glacier.

If this were me, I would skip High Tea at Empress. Near The Empress is The World of Miniature Museum-- very interesting.

In Ketchikan might want to look at the Lumberjack Show.

Since you will be traveling through Glacier Bay, I am not sure I would spend the money on Mendanhall Glacier.

Agree with most of the the OP's original thoughts except the high tea, and the added suggestion of the Lumberjack show in Ketchikan.

White Pass and Yukon Railway in Skagway is pretty impressive, but the trip is long-ish and might not hold the kid's attention after the ride up to the pass.

There used to be a "Deadliest Catch" style crab catching excursion in Ketchikan....not sure if that's still offered or not. (Edit, just read your post more closely and saw you've already ruled this out). There are floatplane tours available out of Ketchikan, but these might be somewhat expensive for a large family group.

Whale watching in Juneau can be phenomenal, or it can be a complete dud. It totally depends on the whales, of course. The good whale watching tour operators will try to work in other wildlife spotting if the whales are not being very cooperative on your particular tour.

Victoria is a real problem. The arrival and departure time, as well as the location itself, don't leave a lot of room for kid-friendly activities. Butchart Gardens has fireworks shows on some summer evenings...if you're there for one, they are very good, but fair warning: you won't be back at the ship until just before it sails at midnight. Do this excursion through the ship if you do it.

Not sure what your family is into but there are several non seafood options in Ketchikan everything from a zodiac tours to zip lines, ATV rides and even float planes. The town has lots of native influence with two totem parks. There are also loads of eagles and other wildlife - fall is bear and salmon season. You can check out options at www.cruiseportinsider.com