Ocho Rios Jamacia and Sting Ray City

crusinbound

My best friend and I are going on our 1st cruise on 2/4/06 to Ocho Rios and Grand Caymans and have a couple of Ques. We booked the sting ray city shore exsursion with carnival.When we are out with the sting rays is there a safe place on boat for our money cameras and passports?Our next Question is Ocho Rios we booked a shore exsurion also but after that we want to go shopping on our own is it safe with our money passports and cameras?

Thanks for the help cruisinbound:D

My Dh and I will be in both Ocho Rios and Grand Caymans in mid Jan with Holland Amercia. This is only our second cruise but from what I have read on these boards you need to keep your personal items (money, ID etc) in a water tight pouch with you. We purchased one today at Bass Pro Shop for 2.50 approx. I was wondering about this myself, will let you know how it works out we'll be back on 1/22. Don't wander around Ocho Rios without a guide, I booked Phil Lafayett from reading about him from the boards. There is realy a lot of good info check out the Ports of call section. Have a great trip.

My best friend and I are going on our 1st cruise on 2/4/06 to Ocho Rios and Grand Caymans and have a couple of Ques. We booked the sting ray city shore exsursion with carnival.When we are out with the sting rays is there a safe place on boat for our money cameras and passports?Our next Question is Ocho Rios we booked a shore exsurion also but after that we want to go shopping on our own is it safe with our money passports and cameras?

Thanks for the help cruisinbound:D

On the boat in Stingray City it will likely be safe. After all, the boat is not going to leave without you, and no one is going to leave without the boat.

Jamaica is another story. Using the word safe in Jamaica is a relative term. If you go to the shopping areas near the dock (see the photo below) you should be okay. However, when I was there (August 2004), there were armed guards there also. So what does that tell you?

">Dock.jpg

Using the word safe in Jamaica is a relative term. If you go to the shopping areas near the dock (see the photo below) you should be okay. However, when I was there (August 2004), there were armed guards there also. So what does that tell you?

">Dock.jpg

I'm not sure I'd make the assumption that you did. There are armed guards in Cozumel as well and I haven't seen anyone saying they aren't safe there.

jmo

-Monte

Mbisson,

Are you sure you want to meet gruntled cruisers? The real issue is: which "gruntled?"

At one time "gruntled" meant "unhappy" and "disgruntled" meant "even more unhappy." This use of "dis-" for emphasis was not so unusual during a period when double negatives were generally interpreted in English to emphasize the negative. For example, "disturb" which meant to make "very turbulent," and, of course, the famous "inflammable."

Not surprising, later speakers and writers misunderstood the role of "dis-" and, in humorous writing typically, use "gruntled" to mean "not disgruntled." So at this point it would seem gruntled can mean anything you want it to mean, depending upon whether your speech tends toward the archaic or the inventive.

One might conclude the whole cruise ship is full of gruntled cruisers, of one sort or another.

Bill

I'm not sure I'd make the assumption that you did. There are armed guards in Cozumel as well and I haven't seen anyone saying they aren't safe there.

jmo

-Monte

I did not say it was not safe. All I said is that it is a relative term. As to the armed guards, I let the reader (you in this case) come to whatever conclusion you wanted to. Your assumption was your assumption - not mine.

HI good evening to all,

For the record i must say it is quite safe travelling to Jamaica especially in Ocho Rios and doing just as you want not worrying that your things will be snatched, being that there's a bad reputition for theive's and such in Jamaica the tourist board has taken such action by having security personells around especially in the shopping areas.

You'll be just fine in Ocho Rios i'm pretty sure if you ask your tourguides when in Jamaica where are the right and best places to shop you'll be directed in the right places.

One Love to you all.

Wishin everybody a happy new year.:) :cool: :rolleyes:

In Jamaica I would consider booking with a private tour guide, such as Marva above. (I haven't toured with her but have read very good reviews of her tours. We used Trevor Hudlin and loved him!) Then you will be safe and get to enjoy the wonderful sights, sounds and people of Jamaica.

Stingray City is a blast!! Again, consider booking with a private company rather than the ship: better prices, smaller crowds. We used Nativeway and went on their Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. The highlight of our cruise!!

I did not say it was not safe. All I said is that it is a relative term. As to the armed guards, I let the reader (you in this case) come to whatever conclusion you wanted to. Your assumption was your assumption - not mine.

Well, there are armed guards and police in every town in America too......:rolleyes:

Sorry but if you didn't intend to infer it was unsafe, I don't understand why you brought it up at all.

-Monte

I was responding to the original question. I provided information based on my experience. I did not draw any conclusions from the information I provided. I left that up to the reader - you in this case.

After Sept 11 there were armed guards at the US airports. Were the airports safe? You decide. That does not change the fact that there were armed guards at the shopping center in Ocho Rios. Is it safe - you decide.

I stated a fact. You came to your conclusion without any guidance from me.

Archived