Ocean Medallion

babs135

Just off the Regal and we were definitely told by the Captain at CC M&G all workers connected with ***** in North America and no further work until return in Fall. I happened to have been on the Regal in both January and April of this year and only muster station B outlined very well above was completed in January. No apparent work in the three months. April was same as January. The apparent conclusion is they can not get it to work and they are going to continue to try on the Caribbean Princess or abandon the extremely costly mistake. Only 1/8 of The passengers had. I spoke with several who did have it and they were not impressed. They showed it to me and the door pads and I was not impressed. Other than that not much seem to work. In general it seemed to be more for the benefit of the line than the passengers. Recall that this has nothing to do with the new Internet even though they call it the ocean medallion Internet. Two are distinct projects. I have the impression from those that had it That it certainly was no big deal. I also have the impression that a decision is near or has been made about its ultimate fate

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One question... What is the "it" in "...it certainly was no big deal..."? ***** or MedallionNet?

Agree that ***** is for ship operations and the hype is to get folks to carry them.

One question... What is the "it" in "...it certainly was no big deal..."? ***** or MedallionNet?

Agree that ***** is for ship operations and the hype is to get folks to carry them.

The it is the *****, post title. Sorry if not clear

Just off the Regal and we were definitely told by the Captain at CC M&G all workers connected with ***** in North America and no further work until return in Fall.

wow...so no ***** for my cruise in October. i am still amazed on how priciness is still advertising my cruise as an ***** Vacation when it is not.

Even if it was I think you will find it no big deal! There is also a great deal of confusion between the ***** coin and the high speed Internet...one is not the other. The problem was multi day and universal according to manager of Internet cafe who said it was the satellite problems previously explained. I doubt one part of the ship connected to a working satellite and the rest of us didn’t He said it was universal and expected and IT would be working on it through whole voyage

Sent from my iPad using Forums

PS. I had a great trip. I had no interest in the ***** and the fast internet at the beginning and the very slow at the last 2/3 was no really big deal. I expect severe glitches when new inventions are attempted. Just surprised they bought and advertised things that don’t work! Mike

Since the IT workers installing and getting ***** up and running are most likely contract workers from the US/Canada. Therefore it would be expensive to have them stay aboard for a European cruise not to mention the support logistics. Therefore the decision to move to the CB which recently came out of drydock and will be in NA waters is a more sensible decision.

True that the high speed internet labeled ***** internet is a separate issue from the onboard ***** which uses the intranet (all contained within the ship environment). All ships have to use satellite services and appears that their choice of satellite service is not all that robust in coverage.

Whether Princess (and Carnival Corp) decides to continue trying to implement ***** remains to be seen. It certainly was over promised as is the usual response by marketing. As an IT consultant I have seen this played out over and over where they ignore IT and hype the wonderful attributes even before it has proven to be successful. Marketing over hyping the product without consulting the engineers is what brought GM and other corporations down. They seem to never learn.

wow...so no ***** for my cruise in October. i am still amazed on how priciness is still advertising my cruise as an ***** Vacation when it is not.

*IF* you'll be in Muster 'B', you'll have *****, such as it is.

*IF* Princess comes up with the needed brilliant inspiration on the Caribbean, it'll even work.

Regal heads for this side of the pond in late August, and you sail in October.

Princess had planned to wire ships for ***** in two months, so they'll have another Muster or

two done by then if it's worth it.

I'd not bet the rent money on being in a cabin with functional *****, though, even on my

eastbound 2019 T/A.

*IF* you'll be in Muster 'B', you'll have *****, such as it is.

*IF* Princess comes up with the needed brilliant inspiration on the Caribbean, it'll even work.

Regal heads for this side of the pond in late August, and you sail in October.

Princess had planned to wire ships for ***** in two months, so they'll have another Muster or

two done by then if it's worth it.

I'd not bet the rent money on being in a cabin with functional *****, though, even on my

eastbound 2019 T/A.

No progress between January of this year and April at all. I was on twice. Mike

No progress between January of this year and April at all. I was on twice. Mike

I'd phrase it as "they didn't think it worthwhile to wire more cabins until they solve what I call the

'Where's Waldo?' problem -- your medallion (and you) aren't always where the system thinks".

"Twice"? Are you the guy with the "Not Elite, but having fun working on it" tagline? ::jealous::

Two more to go this year... I agree with you why wire more if it doesn’t work...I am guessing there is a lot of finger pointing and debating how best and who to announce defeat. Mike

I've spent my share of time on the bleeding edge, and it's ***** rather than MN that feels currently

solvable. Reducing the power of RFID responses? Boosting them? Measuring their signal

strength at multiple sensors? Tracking the *****'s over time? (He can't be *there* because he

was over *there* 2 seconds ago) Chamfering the corners on the cabin doorway alcoves?

MN, as currently defined, is going to have be restricted to equatorial cruises until there are some

steerable-dish satellites in polar orbit.

If you are in one of the following staterooms, you are in a Medallion stateroom. If you are in any other stateroom, you aren't. That is as of today. By the time your cruise arrives, that may or may not be the case, depending on whether more staterooms have been modified by that date.

Lido Deck-201-302 (36 staterooms)

Marina Deck-203-243 (36 staterooms)

Baha Deck-301-337 (36 staterooms)

Carib Deck-336-337 (2 staterooms)

Tom

We were on our first Princess cruise (on the Caribbean) in April. I couldn't even get the login for princess@sea to work.

I read another post that said Regal internet works fine in the Caribbean. How about internet as far as Mexico? Is internet reliable all over the ship or only in certain areas?

Edited by NCreadyforfun
found answer or original question in post 50

Not too familiar with Princess so forgive me if this seems like a silly question (and referring to Regal)...

Having access to (fast) internet has no relation to OceanMedallion, right? They are two separate issues? I don't care if someone knows my name, but I really need dependable internet. I read another post that said Caribbean sailing is within working satellites. How about cruising to Mexico?

They may be two separate issues but they are interrelated. The ***** is supported by the intRAnet (as opposed to intERnet) and it is through the intranet one connects to the internet and outside world. Depending on how it was configured, problems on the intranet can have an impact on access to the outside world and internet. The satellite service that Princess has aligned with has good coverage in the Caribbean as well as the Mexican west and east coast.

Keep in mind that the CB and their sister ships have 3000 pax aboard and the Regal has 3600. Most these days have some type of internet capable device (smart phone, tablet, computer etc). Any connection the ship has to the internet via satellite has a finite bandwidth. If only a few are using the service, it should work great but if many (several thousand?) use the service at any one time, service will be slower as they will all be sending and receiving packets simultaneously. Remember the connection can handle only a definite number of packets and hence connections at one time. It all depends on time of day and how many are trying to use the internet at the same time. Response time is really great at 2 AM so I am told.

They may be two separate issues but they are interrelated. The ***** is supported by the intRAnet (as opposed to intERnet) and it is through the intranet one connects to the internet and outside world. Depending on how it was configured, problems on the intranet can have an impact on access to the outside world and internet. The satellite service that Princess has aligned with has good coverage in the Caribbean as well as the Mexican west and east coast.

Keep in mind that the CB and their sister ships have 3000 pax aboard and the Regal has 3600. Most these days have some type of internet capable device (smart phone, tablet, computer etc). Any connection the ship has to the internet via satellite has a finite bandwidth. If only a few are using the service, it should work great but if many (several thousand?) use the service at any one time, service will be slower as they will all be sending and receiving packets simultaneously. Remember the connection can handle only a definite number of packets and hence connections at one time. It all depends on time of day and how many are trying to use the internet at the same time. Response time is really great at 2 AM so I am told.

Excellent summary, with a minor ticky-tack: Regal passed a test with 1,500 simultaneous video

streams while in the Caribbean in Feb '18. Response time at 2 PM should be great, too.

Thanks for the info! I was recently (April) on Caribbean Princess and just trying to get to princess@sea was basically impossible. Glad I had the paper copy to carry around <sigh>. If anyone has update on CP internet I'd like to know.

Excellent summary, with a minor ticky-tack: Regal passed a test with 1,500 simultaneous video

streams while in the Caribbean in Feb '18. Response time at 2 PM should be great, too.

Great info. Thanks for info on other post as well :D