Quality of Coffee

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with Regent's coffee. And, as has been said, coffee is subjective and you cannot please everyone. Sometimes it feels that people just want to complain about something because this site is called "Cruise Critic" rather than Cruise Reviews or something that does not encourage people to criticize everything!

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with Regent's coffee. And, as has been said, coffee is subjective and you cannot please everyone. Sometimes it feels that people just want to complain about something because this site is called "Cruise Critic" rather than Cruise Reviews or something that does not encourage people to criticize everything!

You can't please everyone. No surprise.

For those who like the coffee on Regent, that is good. For those who don't like the coffee, then should they not complain? What should they do? Just drink it and shut up? In a parallel universe, there is whole thread about excursions. Some like included excursions, some do not? Should those individuals not complain? Some don't like included laundry for everyone, many do? So should those who don't like included laundry for everyone not complain?

Is it okay to complain about other people who post complaints on CC? Apparently it is.

Still trying to figure out when it is okay to complain and when it isn't okay to complain on CC. Where is the rule book?

You can't please everyone. No surprise.

For those who like the coffee on Regent, that is good. For those who don't like the coffee, then should they not complain? What should they do? Just drink it and shut up? In a parallel universe, there is whole thread about excursions. Some like included excursions, some do not? Should those individuals not complain? Some don't like included laundry for everyone, many do? So should those who don't like included laundry for everyone not complain?

Is it okay to complain about other people who post complaints on CC? Apparently it is.

Still trying to figure out when it is okay to complain and when it isn't okay to complain on CC. Where is the rule book?

No rules (other than CC's which is hopefully read by everyone on a regular basis). However, there are some posters that either like to complain or criticize others. Constructive criticism that is on topic is fine while, In my opinion, criticizing others is not. If you really read Cruise Critic posts, you will find people that contribute to the discussion and those that make no input to the discussion other than to criticize posters or Regent.

I could easily list things about Regent that I wish that they would change but realize that this would affect passengers that enjoy what I would change (Prime 7, loud music in the lounges and the list could go on). However, I only mention things that really upset me (coffee is not one of them). If posters took other passengers into consideration, the discussions might be quite different.

I read a few quotes today about complaining and learned that there are those that enjoy criticizing others (meaning Regent and/or posters) and those that try to recommend solutions to situations. It is a choice. There are several posters on this thread with recommendations for Regent. In my opinion, it is helpful if posters also took Regent into consideration as well as their own desires. Some (not all) posters dislike the coffee. If they were to spend tens of thousands of dollars to change their coffee, there would still be people that dislike the coffee. This is an area where they cannot please everyone.

Not sure why you bring up laundry and excursions on this thread as they are a whole other kettle of fish. Many of us ask that there be an opt out option that would not affect people that like excursions even a tiny bit. Laundry is an earned benefit and some Platinum and above Regent customers are asking (via CC) to please stop giving away our benefits. When I discuss laundry, I am directing my comments to Regent - not to passengers that wish that they had the benefit (if one were to ask 100 passengers that are Gold and below if they would like unlimited laundry, the response would be 100% affirmative - duh). If you asked me if I would like a discount on my cruises as Diamond and Commodore receive, of course the answer would be yes.

In a perfect world, we would stay on topic and our posts would be to discuss and/or debate the topic.

Edited by Travelcat2

travelingduo posted that the coffee was better on Regent than Seabourn. We have sailed on Silversea and I don't recall their coffee being wonderful either. I agree that the water could be an issue ad have mentioned previously that not having a filter that can take out the bitter oils is another issue.

Having various coffee types is interesting but I can't see how Regent (or other luxury lines) could do that efficiently. How can you walk around the dining venues offering choices (other than regular or decaf)? The Coffee Connection(s) are not et up for choices either.

If one's enjoyment of a cruise depends upon coffee, perhaps you should pack your own. As mentioned, my DH likes strong filtered coffee. He drinks tea on most Regent cruises since it is easy to give choices (and he uses multiple tea bags in his coffee as well). I don't drink much coffee at home (don't like being addicted to caffeine) but do drink it while on vacation and I can live with less than a perfect cup of coffee. In my opinion, coffee in the U.S. is pretty bad - unless you go to Starbucks or certain other chain stores that are known for their coffees. Even then, the choice of beans is limited.

American coffee must be pretty bad if Starbucks coffee is regarded as decent in comparison.

American coffee must be pretty bad if Starbucks coffee is regarded as decent in comparison.

American coffee, in general, is pretty weak but a lot of people like it that way. We live in a state where there are coffee kiosks and stores on almost every corner so there are plenty of choices. Starbucks continues to get the most customers.

American coffee, in general, is pretty weak but a lot of people like it that way. We live in a state where there are coffee kiosks and stores on almost every corner so there are plenty of choices. Starbucks continues to get the most customers.

I read somewhere the other day that those two great Australian coffee inventions, the flat white and the long black, are now being seen in some places in the US.

So I’m sure that things are getting better.

We were on the Navigator for the 2017 World Cruise. I agree with those who say room service coffee is better than the coffee served in the restaurants. I enjoy a good cup(s) of coffee every morning and don't feel Regent delivers.