Minors cruising without a parent

MsMot

DH and I are planning on taking our 16 year old grandson on our September cruise for his birthday. This will be the first time taking him out of the country. For domestic trips, I always have the parents sign a letter giving me authorization to make emergency care decisions. Does anyone know if we'll need anything special or will that type of letter suffice?

I'm going to open up a different can of worms for the OP to make their own decision on but check out this link to another CC discussion along with the other links and make your own informed decision.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3643/kw/single%20parent%20travelling%20with%20children/session/L3RpbWUvMTUyNDUwMzkxNy9zaWQva2puc21WS24%3D

From Carnival:

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2626967

You're going to get the argument that someone has done it 100 times and never had a problem. Which is true.

I know I tried to take my daughter into Canada at a border land crossing (pre 9/11) and the Canadian Customs and Immigration refused us entry due to Mom not being with us.

I also know that we as a society need to do a better job to halt non-custodial parental kidnapping and sex trafficking. If having this letter is a small step to stopping these problems, I'm all for it.

We travel internationally with DD's friends annually. We always have a Medical Power of attorney notarized, copy of their insurance card, and a notarized letter similar

To above. We've never been asked to show it. But it's better to be safe than sorry