Cozumel Ferry

Prince-hulse

Has anyone recently taken the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen or visa versa. I know there were major issues with Drug dealers who planted bombs on this ferry link recently and caused explosions. Is there now security checks before boarding etc ?.....

The ferries have been running daily, every hour, non-stop without any further issues. The locals use the ferry to get back and forth, so they could not just stop running. It was just the cruise lines who stopped booking them. The ferries continued to run.

BTW - it was not drug dealers, it was the owners of that ferry(a 3rd ferry that had just started running recently competing with the other two lines) in an insurance scam, according to the arrests. I have been told that there are some security things going on at the downtown ferry location, but not sure if it is every passenger bag or just random checks. If you are using the downtown ferry over to PDC, I would make sure to get there at least 30 minutes early.