Penal Island from St Marten- Kayaking

We have not kayaked over. We were there last week and they were renting kayaks out of a little shed near the water taxi pier.

Did you take the water taxi? How long does it take and what is the cost.

To go to Pinel Island, you will need to take a taxi to the ferry in Cul-de-Sac, french-side.

If you have interest in kayaking, I strongly recommend that you check out Caribbean Paddling website https://www.caribbeanpaddling.com/

They have a chat function on website - not sure hours it is active. My experience with Caribbean Paddling is that they are very easy to communicate with and make arrangements.

Many people who want to go to Pinel and kayak, get Caribbean Paddling to arrange the transportation to and from cul-de-sac. It is not a place where you can assume there will be taxis waiting to take you back to the ship. Prior arrangements are best.

I know my son is making reservations with someone he has used before for transportation and for Kayaks for them DH and DIL father.

DD and SIL and possibility some of their kids may water taxi over. I will warn them about arranging transportation. After seeing the pics in the link I am a little sorry I will be on boat with some GC. Too early and too much for me. Labadee will have to do me. Been to St Marten many times but never to Penal Island. Perhaps next time DH and I cruise there alone we will try the water taxi if he enjoys the location. Then I would not be holding anyone back.

I think that having a 100 percent ride BACK from the Cul de Sac to the pier is the most important part of planning your day to Pinel Island while on a cruise. This is one area that you do not want to be stranded at with the hope that a taxi may show up.

I know my son is making reservations with someone he has used before for transportation and for Kayaks for them DH and DIL father.

DD and SIL and possibility some of their kids may water taxi over. I will warn them about arranging transportation. After seeing the pics in the link I am a little sorry I will be on boat with some GC. Too early and too much for me. Labadee will have to do me. Been to St Marten many times but never to Penal Island. Perhaps next time DH and I cruise there alone we will try the water taxi if he enjoys the location. Then I would not be holding anyone back.

We used Caribbean Paddling last summer in St. Maarten. For the price and what they gave you it couldn't be beat. They arranged the transportation to and from the port. It truly was beautiful but beware of two things. Kayaking out to Pinel Island is going against wind. For those who aren't strong kayakers it will take some time. Doable but pair up if possible. Going back was a breeze. Also, because we spent quite a few hours out there just hanging out in the shallow water and snorkeling, several of our group got very badly sunburned, even with sunscreen on. It was our first day and no one realized how strong the sun was. I would highly recommend Caribbean Paddling though. Very easy to work with and a great deal. Last summer we kept the kayaks as long as we wanted for the same price.