Cell phones

anno

Happy New Year everyone. We are going to the Western Carr. next week. The kids want to bring their cell phones. I am under the impression that they don't work. So I have a dumb question. Will they be able to use the phone as a camera and tell time with it or is there no signal at all?

Your in the middle of the ocean and there is no signal.. When you get to land, there is also no signal. You will probably have use of the camera, but, the watch needs a signal to operate. Thats why when you change time zones you never have to change the clock. San Juan, however, you will have service without roaming. Not sure about the other islands. Mexico, I am sure you will have some kind of service.

Happy New Year everyone. We are going to the Western Carr. next week. The kids want to bring their cell phones. I am under the impression that they don't work. So I have a dumb question. Will they be able to use the phone as a camera and tell time with it or is there no signal at all?
I don't think you need a signal to use the phone as a camera or watch.

It will depend on who the service provider is, but it is possible they can still get a signal when near an island. In Cozumel, Verizon and Cingular have service, but they'll be roaming and that isn't cheap. I'm not sure about compatibility with the service providers on Grand Cayman, and if you are going to Costa Maya, I wouldn't count on any signal.

Despite what JaynKris say, you are not visiting third world contries that do not have the technology like we do. Besides, you'll be in the New World, not the third world.

Brought our cells on the Fantasy and Elation, DBF's worked in every port (signal was poor though, but we got a call walking down the street in Progresso, Mexico! Funny to hear our cell ring there, lol). No reception at sea. In another thread somewhere a poster mentioned that some ships now have reception boosters on them? I have no clue about that though.

We used DBF's to make calls and then used my cell as an alarm clock on the ship. We don't bother bringing a charger, just turn the cells off when we don't need them to conserve power. Alarms work on a cell with the phone turned off as well, and obviously keep time fine. Camera is fine too, just don't expect to be able to email the pictures to anyone. ;)

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I wish they would just leave them home but teenagers are lost without them!

I am going to bring mine in case we need it when we fly into Miami and when we get back to Miami.

Can't wait!!!:)

On our October western cruise we were able to use our phone in all the ports. We did not have to dal international codes. We have Cingular phones with international roaming. The few times we did use them the cost was between 80 cents to $1.00.per minute.

have the teens find out if those phones have international services..if not someone will be looking at a mighty hefty bill when you come home.

Last cruise we had no service once we left Tampa..and had none til we returned.

PS--make sure those teens know the phones in the cabin are for calling eahc others cabins only...that ship to shore calls to call friends back home will cost 9 bucks a minute.

I always bring the cell phone on a cruise. It is important to have while flying to and from the ports, but doesn't work far out at sea. It is possible to have reception on the ship if in sight of land. If you will be traveling to San Juan, or Key West, these will be regular calls. When I needed to call in St. Thomas, I bought a phone card at a store near the dock - that is the cheapest way to go.

The cell phone is handy to use as an alarm clock on board - I think most of them have that feature. Don't forget to bring the charger!

Thank you everyone for your kind responses. I wish they would just leave them home but teenagers are lost without them!

I am going to bring mine in case we need it when we fly into Miami and when we get back to Miami.

Can't wait!!!:)

You could easily end up with a $500 phone bill if you hit a port that does have service and your teenagers start dialing. Roaming charges in another country can be astrinomical.

Archived