Just finished the Ruby...FANTASTIC trip

Papa Hooks

My wife and I went to Alaska three years ago and never dreamed we would go back. 17 months ago she was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease and I asked what she wanted to do while we still could do things. The first thing out of her mouth was to return to Alaska. So we did.

Two lifelong couples went with us and I think they were the icing on the cake that made this trip better than 2015 for us. This trip was wetter, windier, and colder during the same timeframe than 2015, but we enjoyed it so much more.

We started off in Vancouver and cruised on the one-nighter to Seattle. Great trip, packed boat. Immediately I was impressed with how friendly and outgoing all of the staff was and it continued through the entire Alaska trip too. I had heard horror stories of getting through the port in Vancouver, but it was flawless and so easy. Vancouver is a beautiful city--if you ever get the chance, go. We did see Colors of the World and it was fabulous. We enjoyed it so much that we couldn't wait to see it again on the Alaska trip.

Seattle was cold and rainy on Saturday and we were told we would have to disembark. I don't know if the weather changed their minds, but just as we were getting ready to exit the ship for a few hours, a crew member said we could stay on. We had a couple of hours where it felt like the ship was ours. We set sail later for Juneau, docking there on Monday. Saturday night and Sunday were interesting days on the water. Gale force winds and you knew the ship was a rockin'. But, I'd rather have it like that than a gentle back and forth sway.

Juneau was cold and wet, but just a spit of rain here and there. We did a whale watch tour with Juneau Whale Watch and it was amazing. We were the first trip of the season and we hit the jackpot. Whales were everywhere and some surfaced within 20 feet of our boat. Even saw my first sea lion on this trip.

Skagway was cold, but no rain. We took the motorcoach tour into the Yukon for the suspension bridge and then into Carcross. This trip put me over the edge to relaxation. We drove quite awhile on the bus and it was just what I needed to de-stress from life. Easy ride, great bus driver (she was 23 and had her commercial driver's license--impressive!), beautiful scenery...just what I needed.

Glacier Bay....what can I say? No cruise to Alaska should be without a stop there. Simply amazing. We didn't do this in 2015, and we were happy to see it on the schedule. The colors, the mountains, the glaciers, the calving, the white thunder...an experience I will never forget. Cold and very windy, but worth it.

Ketchikan was a short stop and we're now 0 for 2 on excursions there. We did the Coastal Wildlife Cruise and I know that wildlife sightings can be hit and miss. We did see some more whales on the way out and saw seals, but we all wanted bears and none were to be found--plus, it rained the entire trip and was cold. My bonus for this trip was getting to sit inside the cabin with the captain since it was the last seat on the boat. He was very nice, said I could ask anything I wanted, so we had some good conversations.

We did nothing in Victoria but walk around the city, but it was as beautiful as ever.

Now, neither of us are drinkers at all, so I can't comment on that aspect. I will tell you that the meals were outstanding. There was nothing in the MDR that I did not like that I tried. Everything met our expectations and we went away happy every night. Our waiter was Sheldon from Grenada and he's been with Princess for 14 years...what a great guy. We were so blessed to be served by him each night. The best thing we ate was the Sea Salt Caramel Custard...amazing. Had to have two of them!

The shows in the theater were great each night--Scott Wyler was a hoot as the comedian! We played some trivia games, attended an art exhibit, and just enjoyed everything we dabbled in. Sure, there were some glitches here and there, but I'm on vacation--I'm not gonna allow that to damper my mood. I'd rather have a glitch on the cruise than a perfect day in the office.

If you have any questions, I can try and answer them. Can't wait to go again--we're looking at a Canada/New England trip in 2019.

Thank you for the great review! I sailed on Princess for the first time in 2016 to Alaska and I loved every minute of it. Had no real desire to see Alaska, but now that I've been I know how special it is.

What a great idea to ask your wife what she wants to do while she still can. When I read stories like this I stop my complaining about stupid, little things and realize how lucky I am.

Glad you had a great trip. Definitely plan your Canada/New England. We cruised there in 2013. Ten days starting in NYC and ending in Quebec City! It was a very enjoyable trip and the scenery was absolutely beautiful. We both loved all the ports. It is a definite must do.

So glad you had a great trip! It is so nice to read post like yours. Glad you had smooth sailing embarking in Vancouver, which is where we board our NB cruise. We've been to Alaska 2 times before but only to the main land. This is our first cruise to the Inside Passage and hopefully not our last. Just over 3 weeks and we'll be heading north to Alaska too!

Ww sailed that same cruise and also loved it. The food was amazing and the service wonderful. Glacier Bay was the highlight. What a a cruise!

My wife and I went to Alaska three years ago and never dreamed we would go back. 17 months ago she was diagnosed with Huntington's Disease and I asked what she wanted to do while we still could do things. The first thing out of her mouth was to return to Alaska. So we did.

Two lifelong couples went with us and I think they were the icing on the cake that made this trip better than 2015 for us. This trip was wetter, windier, and colder during the same timeframe than 2015, but we enjoyed it so much more.

We started off in Vancouver and cruised on the one-nighter to Seattle. Great trip, packed boat. Immediately I was impressed with how friendly and outgoing all of the staff was and it continued through the entire Alaska trip too. I had heard horror stories of getting through the port in Vancouver, but it was flawless and so easy. Vancouver is a beautiful city--if you ever get the chance, go. We did see Colors of the World and it was fabulous. We enjoyed it so much that we couldn't wait to see it again on the Alaska trip.

Seattle was cold and rainy on Saturday and we were told we would have to disembark. I don't know if the weather changed their minds, but just as we were getting ready to exit the ship for a few hours, a crew member said we could stay on. We had a couple of hours where it felt like the ship was ours. We set sail later for Juneau, docking there on Monday. Saturday night and Sunday were interesting days on the water. Gale force winds and you knew the ship was a rockin'. But, I'd rather have it like that than a gentle back and forth sway.

Juneau was cold and wet, but just a spit of rain here and there. We did a whale watch tour with Juneau Whale Watch and it was amazing. We were the first trip of the season and we hit the jackpot. Whales were everywhere and some surfaced within 20 feet of our boat. Even saw my first sea lion on this trip.

Skagway was cold, but no rain. We took the motorcoach tour into the Yukon for the suspension bridge and then into Carcross. This trip put me over the edge to relaxation. We drove quite awhile on the bus and it was just what I needed to de-stress from life. Easy ride, great bus driver (she was 23 and had her commercial driver's license--impressive!), beautiful scenery...just what I needed.

Glacier Bay....what can I say? No cruise to Alaska should be without a stop there. Simply amazing. We didn't do this in 2015, and we were happy to see it on the schedule. The colors, the mountains, the glaciers, the calving, the white thunder...an experience I will never forget. Cold and very windy, but worth it.

Ketchikan was a short stop and we're now 0 for 2 on excursions there. We did the Coastal Wildlife Cruise and I know that wildlife sightings can be hit and miss. We did see some more whales on the way out and saw seals, but we all wanted bears and none were to be found--plus, it rained the entire trip and was cold. My bonus for this trip was getting to sit inside the cabin with the captain since it was the last seat on the boat. He was very nice, said I could ask anything I wanted, so we had some good conversations.

We did nothing in Victoria but walk around the city, but it was as beautiful as ever.

Now, neither of us are drinkers at all, so I can't comment on that aspect. I will tell you that the meals were outstanding. There was nothing in the MDR that I did not like that I tried. Everything met our expectations and we went away happy every night. Our waiter was Sheldon from Grenada and he's been with Princess for 14 years...what a great guy. We were so blessed to be served by him each night. The best thing we ate was the Sea Salt Caramel Custard...amazing. Had to have two of them!

The shows in the theater were great each night--Scott Wyler was a hoot as the comedian! We played some trivia games, attended an art exhibit, and just enjoyed everything we dabbled in. Sure, there were some glitches here and there, but I'm on vacation--I'm not gonna allow that to damper my mood. I'd rather have a glitch on the cruise than a perfect day in the office.

If you have any questions, I can try and answer them. Can't wait to go again--we're looking at a Canada/New England trip in 2019.

Wonderful review. We are leaving on the Ruby this coming Saturday, May 19th. It will be my husbands first Alaska cruise and my second. It looks like you took almost the same excursions that I have booked. Thank you for all the fantastic information, including weather updates.

Edited by marlinluvr
Adding more information on reply