What are the gotchas

Dolby1000

Only been on RC and Disney, so not familiar with Holland America. Thinking about the 10 day Zuiderdam cruise.

What are the upcharges, I can't seem to find them on Holland's site. Charges for like a soda or drink package. Which restaurants have a surcharge and how much.

Is there a simple place I can find these costs, I need to make a budget and I know that the cost of the cruise is just the begining.

Dolby1000

Only been on RC and Disney, so not familiar with Holland America. Thinking about the 10 day Zuiderdam cruise.

What are the upcharges, I can't seem to find them on Holland's site. Charges for like a soda or drink package. Which restaurants have a surcharge and how much.

Is there a simple place I can find these costs, I need to make a budget and I know that the cost of the cruise is just the begining.

Dolby1000

I couldn't easily find a list of "gotchas" on any cruise lines' website. It's not the sort of thing anyone advertises.

And Holland America has very deliberately deferred much of those details to either after you book or after you are on board, making it much more like many destination resorts. I noticed that Walt Disney World did the same thing recently.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/plans/#/drawer=drawerDisneyDiningPlan

That page use to show the cost per day and now it doesn't. You now have to book a vacation and then you can see the pricing.

This forum is your best source for that info. Search for what you like to know and you'll find a bunch of threads to read.

What I can tell you is that we are paying $25 each for dinner at Tamarind. Pinnacle Grill is a bit more, $35 on our cruise. Canelleto? is a bit less, $15.

I didn't dig too much into the beverage packages since we typically end up paying about $150 a week out of pocket for beverages, so packages could never break even for us.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Edited by bUU

Dolby1000

Many of us are having problems with the new HAL website looking for basic information, so that could be part of the problem. (More about that in another thread). Believe it or not, some people leave the ship with no extra charges at all because they enjoy all the included HAL services onboard, and run up no extra beverage charges. So no hidden "gotchas" unless it is something you want to purchase onboard.

There is the personal hotel service charge (tips for crew) that is automatically added per day to your bill, but can be removed if you wish before your final bill. Most do not remove this and add personal tips on top of this depending upon their appreciation of the service, but some do. So is that a "gotcha" that they reveal up front? Port and taxes are also revealed up front, with reimbursements if you are required to miss a port for weather or safety issues.

There is always complimentary coffee, tea, ice tea and lemonade for free so if you confine your "soft drinks" to those choices, no extra charges. Alcohol and specialty coffees are a surcharge either per item or in some sort of pre-paid beverage package, along with branded soft-drinks or specialty waters. You can also bring on your own unlimited soft drink favorites to consume in your cabin along with one bottle of wine per person.

Where are those price lists for the beverage packages -- on the new website - I simply do not know because I have not been able to penetrate the website to find them (sigh), but they are comparable to land restaurant costs.

Specialty restaurants are from approx $15-35 (?) per person depending on the setting and your own choice, but you will have very nice included dining options in various ship locations which can cover all of your dining wishes for no extra charges at all, including a very good 24 hour room service menu that includes hot food.

Shore excursions, spa treatments, thermal spa, some fitness classes, special hands-on cooking classes, chef's dinners, purchases in the shop are all obviously discretionary surcharges.

I recognize all of the above is not a good answer for the details you want to complete your travel budget, but in truth you can have a perfectly nice cruise and leave with no extra charges. Or maybe you could add $10 per person day in extra charges to allocate across the course of the cruise for the occasional extra indulgence. Alcohol is the big one. That is your call.

Hi Dolby1000!

I am not sure where there is a common place with this information, until after you book and then you can "enhance" your cruise and purchase many of these things online beforehand from your Holland account online in their store.

I can tell you a common list for what I have spent on, or considered. These are all for weeklong cruises; so some might be a bit more for a 10 day.

Soft Drinks: $64 unlimited card

Hotel Service Charge (aka gratuities): $13.50 per person, per day. $15 per person, per day for suite guests

Thermal Suite Access: $249 for two people, unlimited access to hydro pool (giant indoor Jacuzzi), heated tile loungers, aromatherapy saunas (wet & dry), spa shower room, spa relaxation area.

Laundry Service: $20 to fill a bag

Specialty Coffees: $3-6 per drink

Specialty Room Service Items: $7-10 per plate, $5 for smoothies

Italian Specialty Restaurant: $15 per person

Stake House Specialty Restaurant: $35 per person for dinner

Asian Specialty Restaurant (only on some ships) $25 per person for dinner

Cabana Rental: thought I would list this, even though I don't know the fees, but they are on some ships near the pool and on top decks. If you google you can find the info sheet for what's included and costs. They are sold in advance for the cruise duration, and if not sold out then they offer them first-come for daily rentals.

Hope this snapshot helps. Also, prices might vary due to increases or being ship dependent.

Not sure if this was mentioned.....but the ship puts a $60 per person per day "hold" on your credit card....

Hotel Service Charge/Gratuities....and all other expenses are charged against this pre-arranged hold....

from HAL

7 Day Signature Beverage Package

If a Signature Beverage Package or Elite Beverage Package is purchased before your cruise, each guest over 21 years of age who is booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the same package. If this package is not purchased for each guest prior to the cruise, the stateroom account will be charged for the guests who have not purchased the package

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at $9.00 or lower (up to 15 beverages per day). Prices are per day at $44.95 if pre-booked online compared to $49.95 if purchased on board. A 15% service charge will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. Sharing is not permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, Chocolate Seduction, In-Room Dining, beverages on Half Moon Cay, Freestyle Coca-Cola and any self-service draft beer. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers.