Snokeling in Roatan

Camp30185

We are on the 5/20/18 Getaway docking in Coxen Hole on Tuesday. We want to snorkel and are looking at Shore Excursioner to book. We were looking to take them to Banarama and hope to snorkel off the beach. Has anyone done this before or should you book an excursion with a boat to the reefs? Trying to stay in budget. Like the idea of going off the beach so you could come back and forth.

There is excellent snorkeling just a short walk southwest from Banarama out from in front of Infinity Bay Resort. (Google "mandys eel garden). You can hire a driver for the day from Victor Bodden for $25/person then $10 each to get into Bananarama = $140.

We just take a taxi to West Bay Beach (where Tabyana, Bananarama and several other resorts are), rent a couple of beach chairs and hop into the water.

Taxi is about $35/pp round trip (you might do better)

Beach chair is usually $10/day

Food is decent and costs as much or as little as you want to spend.

Beer is great! (and plentiful)

We are on the 5/20/18 Getaway docking in Coxen Hole on Tuesday. We want to snorkel and are looking at Shore Excursioner to book. We were looking to take them to Banarama and hope to snorkel off the beach. Has anyone done this before or should you book an excursion with a boat to the reefs? Trying to stay in budget. Like the idea of going off the beach so you could come back and forth.

Hey Camp30185, we're on the 5/20 Getaway too. And we're looking for snorkel from the beach as well. Perhaps we can combine your group of 4 with my group of 3 for a discounted :confused: van for the day?

From my research on this board, I found this link which shows the "best" locations for snorkeling from the shore.

http://www.snorkeling-report.com/spot/snorkeling-west-bay-roatan/

Hi. My husband and I took a zip-lining excursion through Bodden Tours last week which ended with a stop at Bananarama for a few hours. We were allotted a couple chairs on the beach. We walked about five minutes to the left on the beach, towards the rock wall that extends into the ocean. We rented snorkel equipment for $10 each and went right out from the shore. Amazing!! I couldn’t believe how many beautiful fish we saw!!! Bodden Tours offers a Fun-n-Sun Tour that includes transportation, a visit to their monkeys/sloth/bird sanctuary(we loved holding the sloths[emoji3]), and admission to Bananarama for $30 per person. Roatan was our favorite port and we were impressed with Bodden Tours, definitely a better and cheaper alternative to booking through the cruise line.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

Contact Ronystours.com. He has become a friend over the years. We have used him so many times and have a fabulous day every time. For $25pp, you will have a driver for the day. I think he might even have a lower rate if you go to West Bay with a van joining others. Go to Bananarama. We were just in Roatan for 8 days. They had a sign out every day - free chairs if you buy food and drink. If your budget is really tight - just lay your towel on the beach for free. There is amazing snorkeling just down the beach - 5 minute walk. Look for the "ball" buoys straight out from the Infinity Resort. Follow them out to a gorgeous reef. We saw huge parrot fish, lobster, squid, barracuda, and lots of beautiful fish and coral. Someone in our group paid for 3 dives and he said he saw as much snorkeling this reef as he did during his dives. The water is crystal clear. The reef is very close the surface in some areas so you get very close to the fish. We snorkeled almost every day!