Finding wireless connections in port

calliecat

I've searched the forums but I can't find the answer to my question.

We will be in St. Thomas, St, Kitt, Grenada, Aruba and Isla de Margarita.

Has anyone had any luck using their laptop getting a connection in these ports?

We have to take the laptop because my son has an Ipod that needs to be recharges. I also like to download my pictures and look at them in the evening.

We aren't Platinum yet (this is our 4th Princess cruise) and I know that I can purchase wireless for $10.50/30 min which we will probably do so, but can I tap into any wireless connections while we're in port?

We have to take the laptop because my son has an Ipod that needs to be recharges. I also like to download my pictures and look at them in the evening.

Charge the iPod using an external charger. They're not expensive.

I also take our laptop and dump the pictures on it each day. And review them while getting dressed for dinner.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be carrying my laptop around in port looking for a wireless signal.

You are on vacation, leave the laptop at home! Buy a Ipod charger and a second memory card. If need be download the pictures unto a CD at the computer center, someone says the fee is $9.95. Relax, taking a laptop is one more thing to worry about.

I just put in "internet cafes caribbean". This link looked pretty good:

http://www.southwindssailing.com/articles/0108/cybercafes.html

or http://www.globaltrekk.com/best.ic.car.htm

I have a similar question: Is there anyway to work offline with Yahoo e-mail? We want to do the 30 minute card onboard, but would like to be able to read and respond to any e-mails at our leisure. I know we could write responses in Word and then cut and paste to an e-mail, but what about reading incoming e-mails after we are disconnected? Thanks for any help!

Charge the iPod using an external charger. They're not expensive.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be carrying my laptop around in port looking for a wireless signal.

No, no, no, I don't want to take it with me in port. I want to sit on deckor our balcony and receive a signal while we're docked. Ok, I'm not very computer savvy and I should have been more specific when I asked. I also know I need to get an external charger but if I take the laptop, I don't need the charger. I really like taking the laptop and dumping my photos each day.

Maybe what I want to do isn't doable. I'm just waiting for my 13yr old to learn more about the computer, then I won't have to ask silly questions.

No, no, no, I don't want to take it with me in port. I want to sit on deckor our balcony and receive a signal while we're docked. Ok, I'm not very computer savvy and I should have been more specific when I asked. I also know I need to get an external charger but if I take the laptop, I don't need the charger. I really like taking the laptop and dumping my photos each day.

Maybe what I want to do isn't doable. I'm just waiting for my 13yr old to learn more about the computer, then I won't have to ask silly questions.

You could take the charger and dump the photos on the ipod. I'll never buy another memory card again. If you take the cables you can show the photos on TV from your iPod. Makes a nice little slide show. But I've read on other threads that sometimes you can pick up wireless signals on the decks when docked from the decks.

:D

I want to sit on deckor our balcony and receive a signal while we're docked.

Since the dock is typically an industrial area the chances of getting an open wireless signal are going to be very low. Don't count on it.

I want to sit on deck or our balcony and receive a signal while we're docked.

I was on a repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver via Alaska and found that in most ports I could get a reasonable wireless connection from open areas on the lido deck--a much faster connection than available with the onboard service. Try both the bow and stern to check for signals as I found there could be a significant difference in availability of a usable connection. I was pleasantly suprised at the long distance that I was able to obtain a usable connection.

Fred

I have a similar question: Is there anyway to work offline with Yahoo e-mail? We want to do the 30 minute card onboard, but would like to be able to read and respond to any e-mails at our leisure. I know we could write responses in Word and then cut and paste to an e-mail, but what about reading incoming e-mails after we are disconnected? Thanks for any help!

I believe what you have to do, and you will have to try this out....

You will have to make the page available offline, that way you should be able to access your email and write responses, but will have to reconnect to send of course.

We were on the Golden on this itinerary in a portside balcony cabin. I was not able to get wireless from the balcony in any port (tried in some but not all) Near port (but not near enough for the signal) we were able to find i-net cafes, most have wireless, you can hook up your laptop via cable, too, or use your flash memory drive.

Archived