Think I will have time to shop with an excursion booked? (Cozumel - turtle cove)

meaganfunn

We have a port of call in Cozumel on Fantasy from 8-4. I booked an excursion for Turtle Cove and Cenote snorkeling that's supposed to be from 8-3. I watched a youtube video of a guy detailing his experience, but it's from 2015. He said there would have been plenty of time to shop when they arrived because they waited 30 minutes for stragglers, but they were told there was no time. Basically wanting to know if anyone has done this excursion lately and can offer any insight? It says 8-3. Is three them dropping us back off at the terminal area? The guy in the video said they had no time and had to head straight for the boat. Someone has asked me to pick up a "cheap" bottle of Jack Daniels for them and I'd really like to pop in somewhere and grab it for them. They're super excited about it.

Can’t speak to that excursion, but keep in mind that for a 4pm departure, the all aboard time will be 3:30; which will leave you 30 minutes if everything is running on time. Can’t imagine calling 30 minutes ‘plenty’ of time given that at that point the ship will no longer wait for you since you were returned by the excursion.

At most you’d be able to pick up something right in the port shops which probably won’t be any ‘cheaper’ than the ship shop. Certainly you won’t have time to comparison shop or check multiple places. Why not just buy on the ship or in another port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with Sanger727... the shops located directly near the pier are full of overpriced souvenirs. You won't have time to venture outside of the port area. Although there are much cheaper shops very nearby, I wouldn't take the chance since your excursion is going to take up almost all of your port time.

As for Jack Daniels, I really don't think you are going to get an amazing deal compared to what you can get at home. Maybe a little better, not sure. I think you might get better prices on things produced in Mexico, such as Kahlua or tequila. My husband drinks JD, and I just remember that we were not so blown away by the price. We did not buy any either in the duty free shop on board or in Cozumel.

You'll probably be able to get just as good a deal in the onboard shops as you would in Cozumel. If you happen to notice that it is cheaper on shore, snap a picture of the price and show it to the shop onboard -- they will usually match the price.