Help me pick an excursion :)

amandaepperson21

Hey everyone! I’ve been to GC twice and both times were underwhelming. It’s my least fave stop of any I've been to. Third time we went, I didn’t even get off the ship.

It would be GREAT if I could tell y’all about my group and our needs/likes and get suggestions. I’ve dug around to find something great but nothing jumps out at me.

2 adults, 2 elementary age kids, 2 teens.

Dislikes:

Typical cruise stuff... stingrays, dolphins, horses.

* All inclusives with pool and beach (my understanding is royal palms doesn’t allow kids in the pool - this is a deal breaker as we have 4 kids).

* Natural adventure. Tubing, waterfalls, hiking, snorkeling that doesn’t require a boat ride.

I say “doesn’t require a boat ride” because children are unpredictable lol. I like to have the option of taking a taxi back to the ship in “worst case scenario” situations.

Musts:

* If it’s a beach, there must be bathrooms and a pool. I’m aware of the numerous beach-only options.

* Nothing crazy expensive. There are 6 of us lol.

I look forward to reading your input! I’m stumped! :-)

Stay on the ship. What you want doesn’t exist in Cayman.

The only beach club other than RP that has a pool is Hemingway’s, and it’s not AI.

Does your cruise line offer an excursion that mentions beach and lunch at The White House mansion? That might work for you, but it’s a ways outside of town. thewhitehousecayman.com

There’s okay shore snorkeling from Cemetery Beach (far end of SMB) but there’s no facilities at all.

The good snorkeling at Eden Rock (by the ship) has no beach, and isn’t really suitable for children.

There’s no zip lining or river tubing or waterfalls. There are watersports rentals at most beaches.

The main ‘excursions’ are unfortunately the stingrays, the turtle farm and snorkeling by boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bookbabe

I'm following this. I've never been to Grand Cayman, but have no interest in the Turtle Farm or Stingray City. We are into adventurous stuff, and mostly booked this cruise for the two other ports we're interested in: Roatan and Belize. My cruise is about 50 days away and I still can't decide what to do in Grand Cayman!

I'm following this. I've never been to Grand Cayman, but have no interest in the Turtle Farm or Stingray City. We are into adventurous stuff, and mostly booked this cruise for the two other ports we're interested in: Roatan and Belize. My cruise is about 50 days away and I still can't decide what to do in Grand Cayman!

If you are into adventurous stuff, then take another look at Stingray City. It's the most awesome experience, being surrounded by stingrays out in the middle of the ocean. We've been dozens and dozens of times, and it never gets old.

Grand Cayman was a port on our honeymoon cruise 21.5 years ago, and we liked it so much we went back for a land vacation, and eventually bought a vacation home there. It's one of our favourite places on the planet.

mmclaughlin - I have to agree with bookbabe! I've been to GC twice - once with my adult daughter and once with my husband. Both times we booked with Native Way Watersports to go out to Stingray City Sandbar. It was great! One of the times we went to a place where you could snorkel to see starfish and once to a small beach (island?) where you could walk and see starfish in shallow water. Both times were great with small groups - much better than booking through the cruiseline.

You sound like you have Roatan & Belize already figured out but I have done these 2 excursions twice also and recommend them:

Roatan - Zip and Dip with South Shore Zipline

Belize - Cave Tubing w/lunch with cavetubing.bz

Ages ago, DH and I spent 3 1/2 weeks on GC as part of a winter term college class. We got to know the island pretty well. We’ve decided to rent a jeep and just explore the island again. Your kids would enjoy a visit to “Hell” where they can send post cards home to their friends stamped from Hell. Other stops include Blow Holes, Calico Jacks, Rum Point where you can snorkel from shore and/or do a drift snorkel all for free. The starfish in shallow water are in this area as well. There is a restaurant and facilities at Rum Point.

Maybe explore the driving/snorkel tips on this site “Cayman off the beaten track” http://caymansnorkelblog.blogspot.com/

Last year our family of 7 rented a van and we went to Spotts beach where you can snorkel and you should see plenty of sea turtles. There were about 8-10 that we saw in the time we were there. Nice beach as well and there was only 1 other group there so very quiet. Only cost was the van rental and think it was $110. Google spotts beach and see if that would interest you

mmclaughlin - I have to agree with bookbabe! I've been to GC twice - once with my adult daughter and once with my husband. Both times we booked with Native Way Watersports to go out to Stingray City Sandbar. It was great! One of the times we went to a place where you could snorkel to see starfish and once to a small beach (island?) where you could walk and see starfish in shallow water. Both times were great with small groups - much better than booking through the cruiseline.

You sound like you have Roatan & Belize already figured out but I have done these 2 excursions twice also and recommend them:

Roatan - Zip and Dip with South Shore Zipline

Belize - Cave Tubing w/lunch with cavetubing.bz

I second Nativeway. We just did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point excursion and had a blast. Did Sting Ray City, then about an hour of snorkeling. Then a quick stop at Stingray Point, the in to Ru, Point for a couple of hours. Not AI, but lunch at Rum Point was included.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't seem to find pricing for Native Ways. Anyone have recent pricing? Or do I just contact them from their website?

Yes, I think you just have to contact them from their website.

We did the "Stingray Sandbar, Coral Garden and Starfish Snorkel" tour in 05/2016 for $40/each (adults). I think there were 10-12 customers on board the boat with a driver & helper, plus a professional photographer.

Note: instead of the "starfish snorkel" they took us to a beach (island?) where we were able to wade in the water and see them up close, which I actually preferred (see the pic on their tours page with the starfish in shallow water).

I wound up spending about $30-$35 on the photographer's photos even though I had some good ones with my waterproof camera. It included pics of me & DD together plus picks of wildlife from all 3 stages of our tour - Stingrays, Snorkel, & Starfish. He e-mailed me when they were ready after we got back from our cruise and I was able to download them from a website. (Note photographer wasn't there 1st time we went so don't count on it - I believe he was independent from Native Way).