Those Cunard brochures that come in the mail...

kaymoz

So many cruise brochures arrive in our post now that it's hard to keep track, but the ones from Cunard used to include a page at the back listing the "bargain" cruises, usually those sailing soon, and a code to be used for the best value pricing.

Does anyone know what I am referring to? Has this been dropped?

I didn't see this info page in the last few booklets that arrived for us from Cunard. I am aware that the webpage layout changed, with the sailing-soon info displayed differently than previously, so I wonder if the print material has also changed? And, with marketing evolution, I am also curious if the code protocol has shifted.

kaymoz,

I can't say I've paid too much attention to the Cunard brochures that come in the mail. But I can say I've noticed a change in the emails I've received from Cunard. Just to clarify, by "code", I presume you mean the promotional code associated with each North American promotion (that is, where it states in the details of the promotion, "Please reference promo code: XXX").

What I have noticed is that in the past, many of the emails from Cunard included this statement in the fare details (my emphasis).

"Offer is available to residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Mexico and the District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older and receive this offer."

That wording usually implied the offer was being targeted to specific past passengers and you had to supply your CWC number along with the promotional code during the booking process in order to get the special pricing associated with that promotion.

After checking my email archives, I received 24 emails from Cunard with that wording during 2017. So far in 2018, I have received only one email with that wording. The other 12 emails I have received so far during 2018 simply state the following.

"Offer is available to residents of the 50 United States, Canada, Bermuda, Puerto Rico, Mexico and the District of Columbia who are 21 years of age or older."

Not sure this necessarily proves anything, but it might indicate a shift in Cunard's North America marketing strategy away from promotions targeted specifically to past passengers in favor of promotions open to everyone. Of course it could also mean Cunard is no longer targeting me with their past passenger promotions for whatever reason.

All the emails I have received include a promotional code, but I've noticed lately that few, if any, of those codes actually need to be entered during the booking process on Cunard's web site to obtain the promotional fares.