Getting from Cruise Terminal to Fusterlandia

U4icmusic

It seems a lot of information on transportation around Havana is dated and incorrect.

It appears they have combined the T1 and T2 routes into one route on the Hop on Hop off buses. Some old directions said to take the T1, then transfer over to the T2 to get to Fusterlandia.

If the routes have been combined, will the T1 take us to Fusterlandia without a transfer?

Thanks.

Once you clear customs and immigration, leave the terminal, hang a right, start walking and start negotiating. My girlfriend and I got a convertible taxi for 22 CUC. Took us to Fusterlandia, waited while we visited and then dropped us off at the Hotel Nacional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...
Once you clear customs and immigration, leave the terminal, hang a right, start walking and start negotiating. My girlfriend and I got a convertible taxi for 22 CUC. Took us to Fusterlandia, waited while we visited and then dropped us off at the Hotel Nacional.

That's exactly what we want to do. Thanks for your information. Was that 22 CUC each way or round trip?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

The return travel time from the cruise terminal to Fusterlandia is about an hour, and if you think you can negotiate it for 10CUC then good luck as thats what taxis quote you to get across to El Morro which is less than 10 minutes away.

When cruise ships are docked all the best classic cars parade past it and are quickly snapped up at 40-50CUC per hour, and many of the drivers have excellent English so also provide you with a commentary. Great advice at post #2:

Unfortunately taxis from Hotel Nacional will charge 10CUC to get you back to the terminal, so take a short stroll down to Malecon and wave down a taxi which you can always negotiate down to 5CUC because they are returning to Vieja.

That's exactly what we want to do. Thanks for your information. Was that 22 CUC each way or round trip?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

It was 22 CUC for the whole deal. Lots of negotiating. At one point the driver and guide said that wasn’t enough and we kept on walking. Moments later, the guide motioned to us to come on. It was a 1948 pink DeSoto and we had a blast.

There are set fees, not on a meter, but any Cuban knows the fare from one location/neighborhood in town to another. Tourists who stay in casas particulares should ask their hosts. Cubans also usually use the inexpensive shared taxis which ply certain routes in Havana. Since you are a "rich tourist", particularly one from a "fancy" cruise ship, they will ask any price they think they can get away with, and even pass on a "bargainer" and wait for someone who will pay exactly what they ask.

Do you pay after getting in the Taxi or after getting out at Hotel Nacional?

Ask/confirm the price before entering the taxi. Pay when you get to the destination.

Do these Taxi drivers speak English? If you are going to a couple places & the driver is waiting while you get out & sightsee I assume you don’t pay them until the final stop.

Not really. Some do, maybe; the education system is quite good there. (I don't really speak English there on the street, so can't say for sure, nor can I say if you'll be asked to pay more if you can't negotiate in Spanish.) Learn some basic numbers in Spanish and the word for "How much?" (Cuanto? or Cuanto cuesta?) or carry a cheat sheet/phrase book. Show the written numbers/vocabulary and point if necessary. They understand "OK?" and a thumbs up sign, and universal sign language/acting out works fine, like in most places. Be inventive. They are used to dealing with tourists from all over the world. Learn the words for "Can you wait?"(Puedes esperar?) and expect to pay for the wait, although there should be taxis around most tourist sights or on the streets if you wait a minute or two.

• 5 months later...

great information.  so i assume i should expect to pay about 22 to maybe 30 cuc for a cab from the port to fusterlandia with them waiting for us. is that correct? and how long is the touring around fusterlandia in general....wondering how much time to allot...an hour? 90 minutes? thanks...

90 minutes seems like a long time to me- but it depends on how in depth you want to wander around and view the mosaics. 

He has some small paintings for sale, I fell in love with one until I saw the price tag.  The piece was worth it, but more than I wanted to spend.

Ther are also a few stalls across the street with some souvenir and art type stuff. 

There is a little stand just inside the Fusterlandia house gate that makes excellent espresso for 1 CUC - perfect for a mid-tour pick me up. 

Even an hour is more than enough time to wander Fusterlandia.  It's not that big.  I think we spend about a half hour there, and my wife looked at everything.  We did not venture across the street, however.  Those stalls didn't look like much.

21 minutes ago, skateycat said:

so Eaton and Fred...did you both take taxi there and then back to port? and thanks for the heads up on the time.  we plan to do this first thing in the morning then hit the market at san pedro.

We stopped there as part of a full day tour with Rollie and Ray from Blexie's company.

From there, we went to lunch at a wonderful nearby paladar named Buena Fortuna. 

Honestly, there is so much to see and do in Havana, limiting yourself to Fusterlandia and the art market would be a shame, in my opinion.  I'm  assuming you mean the San Jose market, on the waterfront.

If not, disregard my post as  I don't know anything a San Pedro market. 

Why not research some of the many companies mentioned here for a guided tour which would include some time out there. Then, the market is only a mile or so from the port, so they could drop you there at the end. Due to the traffic pattern and waterfront construction project,  the cars have to pass the terminal and U turn by the market to drop you off at the ship, and Rollie asked us if we wanted to go in.  It was threatening rain and we were tired, so we passed.

I was there on an earlier visit. It also won't take much more than an hour to tour and shop. 

At minimum, find an English speaking driver who will tell you what you are seeing as you make your way out to Fusterlandia. 

ooops, i meant san jose.  i did not say this was all we were going to do. lol.  this is the morning.  then hubby will need a nap (due to medical reasons/ medications). i will wander around the mercadero at certain stops on my list.  then the night time will be pub crawling most likely.  i do not feel i need a guided tour as we did this in may.  i might be looking for someone to do a pub crawl as a guide (though i already have mapped out the places we wish to "crawl" to).  i already looked at strawberry tours which do not operate on the day we will be in port. i have done lots of research and i also speak spanish.  i felt very comfortable touring around habana vieja solo in may.  i have seen the "sights" all the tours want to take you to and done the classic car thing. my experience using blexie was just ok and i felt pricey for what we got. to each his own, though.  much appreciative of your advice.  am really just interested in finding out about getting to and from fusterlandia. the rest i know how to do...not wanting to waste a guide's time, really.

thanks for the advice, riff. i have my "route" pretty much mapped out to do on our own, but i appreciate the advice.  i did see originally that they would also book private tours.  not sure i need one, but i will mull it over. thanks again...

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:27 PM, skateycat said:

so Eaton and Fred...did you both take taxi there and then back to port? and thanks for the heads up on the time.  we plan to do this first thing in the morning then hit the market at san pedro.

We were also on a tour w/ Blexie.  Since there 4 of us, the tour was only around $35 each, so I feel like I got my money's worth.  I would agree with you though that the tour was somewhat lacking.

• 1 month later...

just as an update>>> we DID get a taxi and paid 40 CUC for 4 of us. found him after walking out of the terminal and heading to the left up the street, past all the horse and buggy drivers. air conditioning.  he did not speak english, but it did not matter as i speak spanish (well enough to serve as translator for my group. lol)  He took us to Fusterlandia, waited, then drove us around the city and finally we ended up at the Mercado.  Over 3 hrs of fun.  a 1950 chevy with a toyota engine. and the AC was lovely.  pretty hot during our visit.  thanks again to everyone for their advice.

On 6/2/2018 at 11:15 AM, U4icmusic said:

It seems a lot of information on transportation around Havana is dated and incorrect.

It appears they have combined the T1 and T2 routes into one route on the Hop on Hop off buses. Some old directions said to take the T1, then transfer over to the T2 to get to Fusterlandia.

If the routes have been combined, will the T1 take us to Fusterlandia without a transfer?

Thanks.

We also want to go to Fusterlandia.   Does anyone know how to use PUBLIC transportation to get there?