Strange phone charges

This happened to me on a Princess cruise but it could happen on a RCL cruise also. I connected to a WiFi hot spot in Nassau, Bahamas to check e-mails. I disconnected that WiFi and when I got home I noticed a large charge on my phone that I had connected to the ships WiFi. I never tried to connect in the ship. But I was told by ATT that the ships signal for its WiFi sometimes connects automatically when you get very close to boarding.

Check your terminology.

You can't accidentally connect to WiFi on any RCI ship. Unless Princess is free you wouldn't automatically connect.

You apparently turned off airplane mode and created a cell connection on the ship.

Sounds like you got a cellular connection, not WiFi. When I called my phone company to check if I was covered in Caribbean, they told me to turn off my phone or put it in airplane mode WAY before I even got close to the ship because it could think I was actually on the ship and charge me an arm and a leg.

Sounds like you got a cellular connection, not WiFi. When I called my phone company to check if I was covered in Caribbean, they told me to turn off my phone or put it in airplane mode WAY before I even got close to the ship because it could think I was actually on the ship and charge me an arm and a leg.

Me too, I went into the T-Mobile store a few days ago because I got a new phone and wanted to be sure I didn’t miss a new setting that I don’t know about and because I was confused about the two different data roaming options I have. I made them show me on my phone where to go and what to turn off.

They said I didn’t need to put it in airplane mode (but can), but to turn off data roaming, AND cellular Data. One of those connects to LTE services (for searching the internet without Wi-Fi) and charges you roaming fees for searching the internet, and the other searches for cellular towers and connects to whatever is closest (for making phone calls), even if it isn’t covered under your phone plan (sometimes they partner up with other companies to allow use of their towers for no charge, but sometimes they don’t and you’ll get charged for those).

I have an iPhone 8, if you go into “Settings” then go to “Cellular” you will see 2 options at the top. The first is “Cellular Data,” turn that off. The second is “Cellular Data Options,” open that up and you’ll see 2 options. One of those is “Data Roaming,” turn that off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

when you turn your phone on you can look at the screen to see what you are connected to, pretty easy

When I arrive in a new country, my phone will pop up a message telling me where I am and if I’ll incur charges for using the phone/texting in that area.

However, the thing a lot of people might not realize is even if they aren’t using their phone, it will still connect to LTE to refresh email, or web pages they may have left open in the background, update apps that are set for automatic update...stuff like that. So even if they aren’t using their phones (and therefore not looking at them to check what they’re connected to) they may get charged roaming fees if they don’t have their settings right.

Me too, I went into the T-Mobile store a few days ago because I got a new phone and wanted to be sure I didn’t miss a new setting that I don’t know about and because I was confused about the two different data roaming options I have. I made them show me on my phone where to go and what to turn off.

They said I didn’t need to put it in airplane mode (but can), but to turn off data roaming, AND cellular Data. One of those connects to LTE services (for searching the internet without Wi-Fi) and charges you roaming fees for searching the internet, and the other searches for cellular towers and connects to whatever is closest (for making phone calls), even if it isn’t covered under your phone plan (sometimes they partner up with other companies to allow use of their towers for no charge, but sometimes they don’t and you’ll get charged for those).

I have an iPhone 8, if you go into “Settings” then go to “Cellular” you will see 2 options at the top. The first is “Cellular Data,” turn that off. The second is “Cellular Data Options,” open that up and you’ll see 2 options. One of those is “Data Roaming,” turn that off.

What kind of T-Mobile plan do you have? I've been with them for years, and at some point before I joined they've had free international text & data (not calls). For cellular at sea (the cruise ship tower) they don't do data at all, and you only get charged for outgoing SMS and phone calls.

It has come in very handy when I've traveled abroad.

What kind of T-Mobile plan do you have? I've been with them for years, and at some point before I joined they've had free international text & data (not calls). For cellular at sea (the cruise ship tower) they don't do data at all, and you only get charged for outgoing SMS and phone calls.

Plus now, Canada, Mexico, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico include calling as well.

Realize that not all countries are covered in the plan. Over 140 and going up, but you can run into VERY high roaming charges in some countries.

I have the simple choice plan (though I think there are several “simple choice” plans and I’m not sure exactly which one I have). I get free text and data (using Wi-Fi) and calls cost $0.20 cents a minute. Free international calls to/from Canada and Mexico though (not charged 20 cents for those).