Anyone do Bomarzo from Civitavecchia?

Jasalth

As we are spending time pre-cruise in Rome this is where we are hoping to head to on our port day.

Has anyone done this and if so, who did you use to get there?

The only one I can find really is Discovery Tours at https://www.discoveryguidedtours.com/ourtours/viterbo-bagnaia-bomarzo/ but their reviews are limited (aka about 150 on Trip Advisor) and while they are all good reviews, one has learned to become wary of someone having all 5 star reviews and no negative ones on these interwebs!

Thanks

Are you looking for organized tours only?

While you can get there using public transit (Cotral buses) it takes a long time to get there this way (two and a half hours) and the earliest you can get there is noon.

And that's the good news, the bad news is that the earliest return is likely too late for a port day (it arrives back to Civitavecchia at 9:05 PM).

You could rent a car and drive yourself, it's only about 90 minutes each way.

Train is no better by the way. The nearest station is Attigliano-Bomarzo and it's about five miles from town. The train trip takes two and a quarter hours (via Rome) and requires a couple of changes along the way. Like the bus, the earliest you could get there would be about noon.

If you really want to do it, a car makes the most sense. Although interesting, I vastly preferred Villa Farnese. Or for much easier access Tarquinia and the Etruscan museum and necropolis offer a great experience near by Civitavecchia.

We visited La Sacro Bosco on our departure day from Rome and found it to be one of the more interesting sites that we had on the vacation. The guide really helped to enliven the gardens because the history and stories associated with the sculptures add a whole new dimension. Our guide presented a number of fables and tropes that gave a story arc as you walked through the park. Although the sculptures are interesting on their own I think you'd probably only spend an hour here. With the guide and the stories we spent almost 3 hours wandering the small garden.

Overall it was about 1 hour from Rome, 3 hours at the Monsters Garden, about 1 hour to Tarquinia for lunch and then 20 minutes to the port.

Our travel agent booked us the guide and vehicle. The local company that was on the cards was I.D.I Travel.