Favorite things to do in Grand Cayman

janica

We usually snorkel while in Grand Cayman at Eden Rock. This time we are considering renting a car to tour the island. What are your favorite points of interest and where do you prefer to rent a vehichle? Thanks for your input! :D

Stingray City is SO COOL.

Get some Big Black Dick rum... yummy!

Eat a Tortuga rum cake. Buy some to bring home. They're REALLY expensive back here in the states.

Go to the Bernard K. Passman gallery. There some NEAT things in there. Even if you're not buying, I thought it was fun to just go look. (I did walk out with a BEAUTIFUL piece, though!) :)

Anyone heard anything of the new park that surrounds the Turtle Farm? According to Cruise Travel it is suppose to open early 2006 but I email the Turtle Farm with no response as well as Captain Marvin's. Anyone?

We have been to Grand Cayman twice and done Captain Marvin's both times. Sting Ray City then the a generous personalized private Glass Bottom Boat tour (All ship tours were canceled but they took up out alone since no one else showed up and gave us an amazing tour for what we paid)

BonVoyage

Dawna

Hey Laura and Ken. We just got back from Coz a few weeks ago and I would NOT recommend the snorkel excursions. Maybe we selected a poor tour, but the hurricane took it's toll on the reefs and beautiful coral. We saw plenty of fish, but that was about it. Wish we had done something else and saved the snorkel for the next trip. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

Stingray City is a must do- our best excursion of a 13-day cruise. I would highly recommend the Stingray/reef/Rum Point combo by Nativeway - check their website. First you do Stingray City, then over to the reef, where our guide lured morays and reef sharks out of their lairs for us, then some snorkel time, then back to the boat to order lunch, which is radioed ahead to Rum Point. Lunch and then two hours free time at Rum Point - just a great day!

BTW- I've seen a lot of complaints about tendering at GC, but the day in Nov. that we were there, there were 7 ships in port, and the staff of the Grandeur did a great job in getting us onshore quickly.

I was going to rent a car to Rum Point. Does anyone know how much a taxi is to Rum Point?

You don't need to take a taxi all the way around the island to get to Rum Point. Grab a bus, they ride by all the time and toot at you to see if you want a ride and they are cheap. Just tell them you need to get to the Hyatt where the Rum Point Ferry is and for a couple bucks and a couple minutes you will be there. The Hyatt is a beautiful hotel that sits on both sides of West Bay Road with an enclosed overpass connecting the two sides. The side opposite the beach on the North Sound is where the ferry leaves from. I believe it runs every hour and the cost is not outrageous and if you need to kill time before the ferry arrives explore the hotel. It is spectacular. If you have time Deckers restaurant is right there on the road. If they have recovered from Hurricane Ivan I highly recommend it. Possibly the best meal I have ever had.

As far as I'm concerned, you can rent a scooter and go to Hell.

That didn't sound right........

Also, if you get a private guide you can go to the barrier reef and scuba for conch and sand dollars. A couple of years ago 12 of us chartered a boat from Capt. Franks for the whole day. Brought up conch and made fresh conch salad, dove for sand dollars and went to Stingray city after the large tour boats had already left. We had a great time for $40/person. Lunch drinks and rum punch were included. Fantastic way to spend the day in GC.

Aubie

As far as I'm concerned, you can rent a scooter and go to Hell.

Aubie

If you don't know, Hell is the real name of a city on Grand Cayman. Lots of people like to send letters from the post office there, so that the letter has a postmark from Hell.

I was going to rent a car to Rum Point. Does anyone know how much a taxi is to Rum Point?

I don't know how much a taxi is, but there is a ferry. Last time we visited Grand Cayman, we rented a car for around $50. I don't remember the company, but it was a major..maybe Enterprise. A shuttle picked us up at the port and brought us to the airport where we picked up the car. We had a great day driving all around the island. It is left-handed driving, which was interesting to say the least. There wasn't much traffic outside of the cruise port though, so it wasn't bad at all. We drove out to Rum Point stopping along the way at the blow holes and a really nice cove with lots of gigantic star fish. We felt completely safe and really enjoyed the day.

If you want to try something different.. go to Stingray City. Swimming with the rays is fantastic and it's a lot of fun. Done it several times and I still can't get enough of it.

If you prefer a quiet beach day then definitely go to Rum Point. It's gorgeous there and peaceful. Last time I was there was in 2001. They have hammocks in the shade, a great little bar with some great drinks, good food, water sports, sunny area for tanning, shady areas if you don't want to spend a lot of time in the sun, calm waters, decent snorkeling under the dock and to the right of it, etc. When DH/I go to our timeshare in GC, we always go to Rum Point. It's so pretty and not that crowded. Best way to get there is via ferry.

Stuff to try... Stingray Beer and Rum Cake. On RCI ships, they actually sell Rum Cake which is wonderful. Always bring some home for us/friends.

Make sure you give yourself enough time to get back on the ship. When were in GC in July, there were seven ships in port and it was insane! Took an hour from when got on line to get on the ship. Things might be better now but it was a nightmare in July.

Whatever you plan on doing.. enjoy![/color][/color]

pscruiser -

What type of lunch did they give you on your tour?

There will be 10 of us going. 2 have snorkled before and 2 are non swimmers but would like to do the Stingray City and the beach. They could stay in the boat for the Reef part. Could they do this?

Now, that was a bit rude.

Read my post. Hell is the name of a city on Grand Cayman. The person who wrote this post was just having fun. People like to go to Hell and mail things at the post office there so that it has a postmark from Hell. Also, you can buy a T-shirt that says you have been to Hell.

We were on the Carnival Miracle last Sept. and rented a sailboat with a captain and sailed to the original Sting Ray city before it was moved to where it is now. We had 4 couples and it was private no other people snorkling around anywhere. the captain was great he went down with a bag of squid and brought up about 50 sting rays. I think the whole trip was about $125 per couple. We also snorkled the reef with all the fish and amazing coral it was like being where no one else had ever been which was quite cool.

I can't remember the Name of the outfit that set us up on it but I cand find it for you if interested.

We leave on the RCCL Freedom of the Seas in Octobe of this year can't wait!!!!:D

We booked an excursion through Nativeway last February when we were there. We swam with the stingrays, snorkeled at the reef and had a decilious lunch and beach time at Rum Point. This was, without a doubt, the best excursion we've ever taken. One of couples posted their (long) review of this fabulous day - here is the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=134605

We are avid snorkelers, but while at the reef, two in our small party did not get off the boat, they just enjoyed the sunshine and took pics of us in the water.

I highly recommend this tour.

Enjoy!

Sue

Read my post. Hell is the name of a city on Grand Cayman. The person who wrote this post was just having fun. People like to go to Hell and mail things at the post office there so that it has a postmark from Hell. Also, you can buy a T-shirt that says you have been to Hell.

Sorry, I was just harrassing Aubie. Only he has not been back to know he was being harrassed. Sigh. ;)

Archived